What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Annoying browsing issues

MARSTG

Hi guys,
I am trying to pinpoint what is the issue of my problematic browsing, it is becoming very frustrating, in the sense that for example if I scroll a long page, in the middle of the scrolling it stops for a few seconds then it comes back. My task manager CPU activity looks like a saw with frequent and repeated peaks of activity.
Configuration : C2D E8500 stock, no ovc, 6 GB RAM, Seagate SSHD 1 TB installed in SATA mode, no AHCI. Firefox 36 with Adobe Flash 17, Win7x64 Ultimate, install is less than one week old, the issue was present at the last install as well. Radeon HD 5450 installed with AMD 14.4 drivers. I am listening to a lot of online music from di.fm so I switched it off, I was thinking maybe that was the issue, so I am listening in winamp, made no difference. Mobo is a DFI P35. When I write this body of text right now, there are moments when I type and nothing appears on the screen, only a few seconds after, it is very annoying. In task manager in general only Firefox has the most CPU consumption, around 50%, I have McAffee but it never jumps more than a few percents of usage, anyway it has been installed yesterday, so is not really relevant. My swap file is turned off, I did not want any random HDD access, RAM is more than enough for this kind of activity. Cabled, no wireless, Bell Fibe 50. Any idea? Should I switch to Chrome? Try another SATA chipset? I have an add-on card with ASmedia 1061 chipset in AHCI mode.

Attachments

• tm1.jpg
    tm1.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 112

Bond007

I had similar problems on two occasions for very different reasons. 1st was on an older rig and it ended up being AVG that the person had installed when it was scanning content that was being opened. Swapped to a different anti-virus and the issue resolved.

2nd time was far more annoying. It was on our family laptop with firefox and no matter what I did I could not fix the random lag spikes. I ended up switching to chrome on that laptop and the issue resolved.

MARSTG

I tend to believe it was Firefox, as I am in Chrome now, I have 6 tabs open, including di.fm, I was scrolling through long pages like fb or hwc posts and news websites and my task manager is a lot more linear now.

Attachments

• tm2.jpg
    tm2.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 86

JD

Staff member
Could be something in your Firefox profile as well, maybe an addon or it's just "corrupt".

Try moving/deleting these folders:
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox

You'll probably want to copy them elsewhere in case you need stuff from your profile.

Also in the Options under Advanced, try turning off "Use hardware acceleration"

MARSTG

The only add-ons I had were the xmarks for the bookmarks and a mp3 downloader.

Shadowmeph

I agree it has something to do with a plugin or adodn, I had similair issues I ended up uninstalling and searching ,deleting everything mozilla and other browser stuff, used ccleaner then reinstalled firefox worked great then I reinstalled my backups ran into the same dam problem had to redo the whole thing again.

Johan45

You're not alone, I have seen this issue all over the place. I think there's been a conflict with FF and Flash player for sometime. Our laptop at home and even this PC at work suffer the same thing. I don't seem to see it on the HTPC which is running win 8.1 but the laptop on Vista and the PC on Win7 both 32 bit will almost become unuseable at times because of it. I've even went into task manager and shut down FF while usage was sitting at +400,000K

Latest posts