What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Annoying mouse problem

Maplicito

My mouse will randomly lock up... and seconds later, there cursor will whip over to wherever I had been trying to move it. This is often accompanied by the sound of a USB device disconnecting, then connecting. So far, I have gone into device manager, and turned off the ability to power down USB devices. I have ran Adaware, and while it found tracking cookies (which I removed), nothing there seems to have been of consequence to the mouse. I have uninstalled the mouse, then plugged it back it and let Windows find it. I have switched USB ports. I haven't had a chance to try another mouse, but I do not believe it is a hardware problem.

I had this same problem on this computer once before - a Windows reinstall (Vista at the time) solved the problem. I am not running Windows 7. My dad had this problem on his computer as well, but once again a Vista reinstall saved the day.

If necessary, I can do a reinstall, but I'd like to avoid it. I've done a virus check, and found nothing - I'll try another. Any other ideas? Oh, it's a Win 7 system, ASUS P5E3 Deluse, Q9550, 4GB OCZ Platinum PC3-12800, and a 1.5TB Seagate HD with updated firmware.

Maplicito

Dang I knew I forgot something. It's a Logitech optical mouse... I'm not sure what model, but RX 800 on the bottom - maybe that's the model.

Edit: Actually, I think it says RX 300 - hard to say, the label is scratched.

Maplicito

It's just the mouse. Software doesn't skip a beat, and the keyboard, also a Logitech USB device, works just fine.

Maplicito

This time around, the mouse tried going down for the count. It locked up and didn't recover after a few seconds like it's been doing all night. I turned it over, and the light was powered off, so it's behaving as if it's getting no power from the USB port. No playing with the cable brought it back, but unplugging it, and plugging it back in did. If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll try a different mouse - but I still don't believe it's hardware related. At least it wasn't the last two times I've come across this problem.

Maplicito

No I haven't... that's something I could give a try tomorrow - assuming I'm not in bed. I've got a nasty respiratory problem that's kept me from sleeping all night. I'll give it a try at some point anyway - thanks for the idea.

KaptCrunch

also check the bios version an the fixes while @ your motherboard site for the drivers of the model you have

Latest posts