What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Another 3080 Ti leak, this time by gigabyte and some other news

Lysrin

I know it isn't needed currently, but the 20GB of VRAM just feels better to me if I was buying a 3000 series card and hoping for it to last a few generations given the investment, like I've done with my 1080Ti.

Lysrin

Well, yes... if all things remained equal with texture optimization and the like. But that is getting better all the time. So it certainly could be possible, maybe already true (?), that highly and efficiently compressed textures makes more VRAM less important over less, faster VRAM.

But I still feel like the VRAM amount should go up if I upgrade my GPU ;)

draemn

I find the whole vram thing a confusing problem. On the one hand, some game devs are really lazy and having more vram is required... on the other hand, the vast majority of games have no issues because the bandwith is high enough to swap stuff in/out without any impact on the user performance. But, now that we are getting close to good 4k performance, how much more vram will a game need for those textures? Also, the new consoles are actually going to allow developers who make PC an afterthought push more resources at games, so games will get more demanding.

The biggest problems I have with the whole "10GB is not enough" argument is that it's 1) simply not true for the vast majority of games people play and 2) it's usually cheap developers who don't want to optimize things.

Izerous

Folding Team
2) it's usually cheap developers who don't want to optimize things.
I'd like to clarify one thing here it often isn't the developer but management etc in those kinds of things. Optimization time costs lots of money because of how fiddly it is and often most studios won't pay for dedicated optimization time unless it is a problem.