What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Another Federal Election

chrisk

Folding Captain
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
7,671
Location
GTA, Ontario
Harper goes to the Governor General and tells her he has lost parliament's confidence, or the opposition defeats an important bill and tells the GG that they have lost confidence in government and wants to form a new one. The GG can ask the opposition to form the government or call an election. Since we just had an election weeks ago and the opposition will ask to form a government, that is the route that will be taken.
 

encorp

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 17, 2008
Messages
3,416
This will just result in a conservative majority and an even bigger hole for the libs to dig out of.
 

thenewguy001

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 22, 2008
Messages
839
Location
Vancouver
The governor general can ask the opposition to form a new government. There will not be another election, so calm down. The conservatives only won 37% of the popular vote. The other 63% of elected representatives are forming a government. That's just democracy at work, and I for one am glad this process can happen in our flexible system.
 

DK2

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 17, 2008
Messages
812
Location
GTA
You assume to much, the governor general does not select the government, and would never dare do so.
 

3 of 7

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 14, 2008
Messages
917
Location
Nanaimo BC
If the 3 opposition parties agree to govern together in some fashion, there is no need for an election... The same people we voted for keep their seats... There will be a cabinet shuffle of course, but we never did have any say in that...
The progressive/conservative/reformers will bitch and rant and become the official opposition.... Who knows, maybe they'll loose their public funding.
:canadianwave:
 

chrisk

Folding Captain
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
7,671
Location
GTA, Ontario
Adrienne Clarkson (GG during the Martin minority government) said in her recent autobiography:
"To put the Canadian people through an election before six months would have been irresponsible, and in that case, I would have decided in favour of the good of the Canadian people and denied dissolution," Clarkson wrote in her memoirs. this did not happen because Stronach crossed the floor, temporarily saving Martin's government.
Source: GOV. GEN JEAN'S CHOICE


The Governor General has every constitutional right to keep a parliament running if the other parties can present an alternative government. IF (that's a big IF) this government falls, I think its more likely that you will see Prime Minister Stephane Dion, or for that matter, Prime Minister Jack Layton than an election.


On another note, Harper has just announced this evening that the opposition will not get their chance to table a non-confidence bill on Monday as planned, and has moved their day to Dec 5th. The budget bill has been pushed back, and the CBC is reporting that the conservatives have backed off on the party funding adjustment for the time being, and may present that bill at a later date.



I guess that is a big oops!
 

werth

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 5, 2008
Messages
372
Location
Ottawa
im not going to comment on political threads anymore. i will just get a heep of 0's like at ncix forums from people that cant handle a view that opposes their own :doh:
 

3 of 7

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 14, 2008
Messages
917
Location
Nanaimo BC
I guess that is a big oops!
It just might be a huge oops, because it got the rest of them united (somewhat)... Methinks it just might be an interesting couple of months coming politically.
As for who would lead a coalition, pleeeeeze anyone but Dion, k?
 

chrisk

Folding Captain
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
7,671
Location
GTA, Ontario
im not going to comment on political threads anymore. i will just get a heep of 0's like at ncix forums from people that cant handle a view that opposes their own :doh:

Lol I really try to tone it down on these boards, but for the most part the people here are pretty civil...I remember during a thread prior to the election that we had some Conservatives, Liberals, NDPers, and greens all practically singing kum-by-ya in the thread. :biggrin:
 

belgolas

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2007
Messages
4,346
Location
St. Thomas, Ontario
Dam this makes me angry. We elected the conservatives and it should stay that way. I see this as a big mistake because now I have lost A LOT of respect for the NDP and Liberals. A lot of people around here are very angry about this. This is suppose to be democracy where we the people vote instead of two child parties join to "cheat" their way in.


Oh and please NEVER let Dion be PM!
 

Latest posts

Twitter

Top