What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Another Federal Election

chrisk

Folding Captain
As for who would lead a coalition, pleeeeeze anyone but Dion, k?

I remember Layton telling us during the debates that he was "applying to be Prime Minister" and I admit getting a chuckle about it...not saying he is going to get it but he is much closer than I thought ever possible due to the politicking happening today

DarKStar

....and to those Harper bashers, while I agree about many points, I will ask this - Do you seriously think Dion would do any better ? I don't think so - Just remember who put Canada in deficit and debt in the first place - LIBERALS ! Haven't we learned our lesson once ? I Some will say, but what about Mulrhoney - Well the liberals CREATED this thing called DEFICIT remember that........ Now maybe people have short memories - Mr. Chretien ? Ring a bell ?

Chances are the conservatives would win if the government is overturned, so what's going to happen next, it will be overturned again and again ? This is sick - it's costing millions of $ every ******* time - in the context of a crap economy ? This is unacceptable - I think the entire Canadian constitution should be REVISED and tightened SEVERELY - guys like Gilles Duceppe have no place in Ottawa - not in this economic context - him and the PQ are MAJOR obstacles to Canada's prosperity and STABILITY, sending investors away and putting more uncertainty into an already shaky and uncertain future - I am sick and goddamned tired of going through an election every 6 months - when is someone going to wake up god damn it and govern the coutnry and think about PEOPLE'S interest for a change !

Chilly

DarkStar, last I check the liberals gave the government coffers billions in windfalls, not deficit. Whatever either party did decades ago does not matter as they are hardly the same parties that they were 10 years ago, same basic ideals perhaps, but not the same none the less.

As to belgoias, they only got 30-40% of the popular vote, thats hardly all of Canada wanting him in, rather thats most of Canada NOT wanting Harper at the helm. The fact that our electoral system is antiqued and based past the first poll is what allows unwanted (by the majority) governments to still get into power.

This is my last post in this thread, I hate talking about politics, its a very private thing in my mind, it just causes rifts and arguments.

chrisk

Folding Captain
I hear ya Darkstar. Our system is broken, and ways to fix it is another thread....

The specific problem we are faced with as I see it is that **politics** are getting in the way now of any meaningful measures being taken to help the people. All the parties are at fault here. Harper has proposed a law that will essentially bankrupt the other parties. Whether or not you agree with this measure, as a minority government, you can't go around bankrupting the people who you need to support your proposed legislation...its just asking for trouble. Also, Canada has told the rest of the world that we will be spending in concert with them to stimulate the world economy, which we are not yet doing and looks like we won't even entertain until March. The opposition parties are jumping on this as they can smell a chance to bring down the government, and get power. This is not a good thing either.

We need the current government to do what's needed to get us through this economic mess as easily as possible. We don't need the cutbacks and inaction which has been proven in history not to work in recessionary times, and we don't need a new coalition government that will delay such help due to the new government being formed, and the squabbling that will take place in such a situation. The best situation would be for Harper and Flaherty to do what they told the G20 they would do, and what economists and sound economic theory says they should do. And do it soon.

Thanks for the mature discussion folks!

thenewguy001

You people really need to get your facts straight. The conservatives were not elected to a majority government. It is well within the other parties' constitutional right to form a coalition government against them. Something they could have done prior to the election but couldn't put their differences aside long enough to do so. After the election, seeing that they didn't make any gains, they decided to compromise and ally against the conservatives. This is not cheating, it's the representatives of the majority of voters building a government. Keep in mind the conservatives only won 37% of the popular vote.

belgolas

Yes the Cons only won 37% but Liberals and NDP won even less. And not to mention the Bloc takes up so much. I still don't think it will matter who is PM Canada will still go down just like every other country in this economic down turn. A stimulus will not save the economy but just prolong it.

chrisk

Folding Captain
I am going to do my part to stimulate the economy by buying a new video card for my folding box tomorrow, followed by many wings and pints purchased in the evening!

kirk_d

I am sick and goddamned tired of going through an election every 6 months - when is someone going to wake up god damn it and govern the coutnry and think about PEOPLE'S interest for a change !

Hasn't even been six weeks yet!

I blame Harper for this. The Tories trying to eliminate the $1.95/ vote subsidy has turned everyone against them. The move would severely disable the opposition parties while saving a measly 24 million bucks a year.

It's all about money folks. Harper trying to cut off the public funding of Opposition Parties has infuriated all involved, and may put us in some very uncharted waters!:help:

1Tanker

I am going to do my part to stimulate the economy by buying a new video card for my folding box tomorrow, followed by many wings and pints purchased in the evening!
Now, that's what i would call patriotic! :punk:Good man...such a sacrifice. :haha:

Latest posts

Twitter