What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Another lock-out on the horizon?

thorn

League made it's first CBA offer to the PA. Obviously it's a low ball offer with maybe the intention of meeting somewhere in between. I just wonder what effect it will have on the negotiations getting such an offer to begin with.

• 46% of revenue to the players instead of 57% right now
  • max length of contracts 5 years
  • no more arbitration
  • entry level contract 5 years instead of 3
  • you need to be in the NHL 10 years before free agency

Source Report: NHL tables initial CBA proposal to NHLPA

NSdeadly1

Seems geared towards teams being able to keep the young talent they have drafted, which is a good thing. I also like the 5 year max for contracts, all these "mega" contracts lately are getting ridiculous.

AkG

Sounds more like slavery to me. I guess they want to take a page from the RIAA and music execs. No uber long contracts is a good thing...but no arbitration? 10yrs before you can become a free agent (basically locking a new player not to 5yrs but 10 with a team AND at the whims of that team)...yeah no. The PA would have to be fools (or bought off) to agree to that.

I have little sympathy for the overpaid millionaires but this aint gonna fly....and I have even LESS for the billionaire owners....maybe a good long strike would be a GOOD thing and bring some sense back to both sides as the state of the SPORT as it stands today is not viable in the long term. Hell bring back CHEAP tickets and "scab" (AAA) players.... and I bet most peeps would be HAPPIER than paying 1bill to watch the millionaires play.

grinder

the league went into a hole last lockout... another lockout is highly unlikely.

Masteroderus

Need to be in the NHL for 10 years before you're a free agent??? 10 years is a lifetime for a professional athlete and only a small fraction of players will play for more than 10 years.

I feel bad for the players that just got in this year. Quite a few careers will be ruined by a lockout :sad:

crazyhorsejohnny

Sounds more like slavery to me. I guess they want to take a page from the RIAA and music execs. No uber long contracts is a good thing...but no arbitration? 10yrs before you can become a free agent (basically locking a new player not to 5yrs but 10 with a team AND at the whims of that team)...yeah no. The PA would have to be fools (or bought off) to agree to that.

I have little sympathy for the overpaid millionaires but this aint gonna fly....and I have even LESS for the billionaire owners....maybe a good long strike would be a GOOD thing and bring some sense back to both sides as the state of the SPORT as it stands today is not viable in the long term. Hell bring back CHEAP tickets and "scab" (AAA) players.... and I bet most peeps would be HAPPIER than paying 1bill to watch the millionaires play.

I agree with you but don't forget not too many teams actually make money.

great_big_abyss

If they are not viable where they are... Move them, or shut them down!

There are cities in Canada that these days are clamoring for an NHL team. Quebec City, a 2nd team in the greater-greater GTA (possibly Windsor, London or Hamilton), and I would argue that if Winnipeg, being as isolated as it is, can support an NHL franchise, then Halifax could potentially support one, considering that most maritime cities are within a few hours drive/ferry ride.

The Jets could be considered the poster-boy example for the NHL to move a southern team bleeding red to an established hockey-mad city in Canada. The value of the jets increased from $110M to $164M over the course of a year, an increase of 24% (source). 100% of Games are officially sold out for the next two years, and the next batch of season ticket sales are expected to sell out completely, as well. Demand for Jets merchandise is strong not only in Winnipeg, but all across Canada and even in some US cities.

The NHL has to realize that franchises in the deep south do NOT attract spectators. Franchises such as the Phoenix Coyotes will continue to bleed red (and the sad thing is that they are finalizing a deal with former San Jose Sharks owner Greg Jamieson to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix for another 20 years). If they move (quite smartly, I may add) teams to profitable, hockey-mad Canadian cities, teams and the NHL as a whole will be more profitable. Hockey does NOT sell in the land of NFL and NBA.

Galcobar

I find it odd how people talk dismissively about millionaire players and billionaire owners, but don't engage in the same level of dismissiveness or contempt for millionaire actors and billionaire studio owners -- they're all in the entertainment business, and paid according to how much of an audience they can attract.

AkG

Dont even get me started on ACTORS. The sooner they go back to being either considered traveling scum (or worse) OR court jesters the better. The day "we" started to take actors seriously....is the day our civilization started to decline. :(

Latest posts