What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Another new build, don't ask!

encorp

I want to build a DDR3 system, mostly for the hell of it, also I'll probably use it to learn and get into folding heh, but mostly just to build a DDR3 system that I can take some of the parts (except the obvious ones) into a Nehalem system mid next year.

The question I have is should I just go with the faster mhz the better on the memory?

It and the video cards and maybe psu/case/hdd's are all I expect to translate over to the new x58 system when the time comes..

encorp

Yeah, I'm just so itchy to buy right now haha, new job and I've got the money, ugh hahaha

encorp

Simple, Give me the cash and temptation will go away.:thumb:

I'd wait imo.

I need a project, I'm also itching to do my first watercooling build. Maybe I'll trade up some parts - I'd like to get a more robust mobo, 750i is great but it's no ASUS if you ask me. Plus I'd obviously like to get my MAC case conversion on the go ahaha.

geokilla

Spend it on the stockmarket, then you won't get the new build itch LOL.

If you decide to wait, unless you have like LOTS of money, you might not be able to afford a Nehalem build when it comes out. Heard it'll be like way overpriced and stuff...

sswilson

Staff member
I need a project, I'm also itching to do my first watercooling build. Maybe I'll trade up some parts - I'd like to get a more robust mobo, 750i is great but it's no ASUS if you ask me. Plus I'd obviously like to get my MAC case conversion on the go ahaha.

If you're really looking for something to do while you wait, why not do the WC portion of it?

You can transfer your current hardware into a new WC cooled case, and swap it out when you upgrade the rest of your hardware.

That's the great thing about WC gear... it ports well onto the next build.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
If you're really looking for something to do while you wait, why not do the WC portion of it?

You can transfer your current hardware into a new WC cooled case, and swap it out when you upgrade the rest of your hardware.

From what I understand Nehalem will be a new socket - a bigger one at that. The CPU blocks that we have may not be compatible with that new socket... looks like it's a new block if we make the jump.

sswilson

Staff member
From what I understand Nehalem will be a new socket - a bigger one at that. The CPU blocks that we have may not be compatible with that new socket... looks like it's a new block if we make the jump.

Bah.... what's a new cpu block in the scheme of things? :)

encorp

Yeah I figured this may be something I could do. A block is a block, I'm sure most of the rest should be easily transferable especially if I'm keeping the same video cards/vga blocks.

It will be a different socket and I have zero intention of keeping the mobo I'd buy for this new system for it. I was mostly hoping to transfer the Memory and everything else over. I am basically trying to discern whether it's even worth doing so with the memory or if I should be waiting for it completely; which I think I may do in the end and just WC my current system.

Bah.... what's a new cpu block in the scheme of things? :)

Nothing! LOL