What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Another new build won't POST thread

GregH

Lights, camera, but unfortunately no action :blarg:

Parts as follows:

new parts:
GA-MA770-UD3P
X2 550
4GB Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 9-9-9-24
WD Caviar Black 640GB
Antec 300

salvaged from old pc parts:
Silverstone Strider ST50F PSU
EVGA 8800GTX
random DVD/RW drive
SB Live ExtremeGamer
Hanns-G 19" monitor

Everything seems to power on OK -fans are spinning, hard drive is ticking over, but I get nothing on my monitor. I know the monitor, vid card & PSU are OK as they were working just last night.
I don't get any beeps

I tried booting up with just the CPU & cooler, 1 stick of RAM (tried both sticks & in different slots), vid card & hard drive, along with an old PS2 mouse & keyboard but I get the same result.

As this is the first computer I've built completely from scratch it could well be something stupid that I've missed somewhere along the way, so feel free to suggest whatever comes to mind.

Thanks in advance!

H

HaDeS

is the 12 volt plugged in? The one for the cpu. Eh 12vCharlie!

GregH

is the 12 volt plugged in? The one for the cpu. Eh 12vCharlie!
I'm assuming there's a story behind that :haha:

That's the 4x2 one right?
My PSU has two 2x2 yellow/black plugs which I plugged into it.

I guess the reason for no beeps is that I can't find a plug to plug into the motherboard speaker. Is that plug usually found on the case or the PSU? Or does it come with the MB?

stoanee

Copied from PC 911 (because I am too lazy to type it all) :bleh:

QUOTE The power comes on but the monitor stays black
Is the power cable for the monitor plugged in correctly? Is the monitor turned on? Is the cable from the video card to the monitor plugged in correctly? Is the video card seated properly? Take the cover off of the case, remove the video card and insert it again properly, then try again.
If everything is connected and powered up correctly, push the power button again and pay close attention: do any lights on the front of the PC blink or light up? Does the fan in the power supply start whirring? This could indicate a hardware problem. Try to think what happened right before the problem started. Did you add a new piece of hardware? If so, it might be faulty or not installed right. Remove it, then try again. If everything is fine without the hardware, try to reinstall and configure the hardware again. If that does not help, try exchanging it and see if that corrects the problem. If the error persists, narrow it down systematically. Remove everything but the CPU, memory, keyboard, and video card, then boot again. Does the error still occur? If not, then add one piece of hardware and try again. Repeat until one new component causes the error and you now know who the culprit is. If yes, then reseat your CPU, memory and video card and try again. If the error still happens, try replacing the CPU, video card and memory one by one to see if one of them is the troublemaker. If that does not help, you could have a bad motherboard. Check the motherboard carefully for any signs of damage. Also check for shorts, a metallic object could have found its way onto the motherboard, or the motherboard is not installed correctly and touches the case somewhere.
Another possible cause could be incorrect CPU settings. If you replaced the CPU with a different one, be sure to choose the correct settings for multiplier and bus speed, either via jumpers on the motherboard or a menu in the BIOS. Consult the manual for the correct setup. If you can't even get into the BIOS to change the settings, use the jumper on the motherboard to clear the BIOS and load the default settings, it should allow you to boot. End quote

Power plugs, both must be plugged in.

View attachment 8300

Last edited:

GregH

@stoanee: Yep, that's plugged in (my PSU has two 2x2 yellow/black plugs that I plugged in there)
@charlie: Yes, vid card power is connected.
I just took the MB out of the case so will try again with just the CPU & cooler, RAM, vid card, HD & the PS2 kb/mouse hooked up

GregH

Same result with everything out of the case.

Will stuff it all back in & take pics for your viewing pleasure :)

stoanee

The problems I have had in my short little pc building life have ALL been related to ram. Can you try some known good stuff? (good luck finding some in Rocky..:blarg:)

Latest posts

Twitter