What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Another Unicorn hunt: Performance HTIB+BluRay+more

CMetaphor

Quadfather
So, time for another Unicorn hunt.

I've got a 6+ year old Samsung HTIB (home theater in a box) which is essentially a BluRay player, smart player, streamer, and amp all in one.

The problem is that it's slow AF and starting to glitch. It's no longer supported, so there's no firmware solutions. Obviously out of warranty too.

Time for a replacement. A modern replacement. But are there any? Again, I'm heavily leaning towards a HTIB and not a BluRay player + receiver amp pair. This isn't for my main home theater, this is for daily use in a smaller room. So it needs to be flexible and small.

Requirements:
-Most Important: Fast! (My current only is likely a dual core or less. Running some hideous proprietary OS that's gross and not intuitive. It ALL has to go. Better OS, faster processor)
-Bluray 4k
-Streaming all major services minimum, also 4k. Extra services would be great since I'm getting into several of them nowadays.
-Casting support to my android cell (which I use surprisingly often) and Bluetooth.
-5.1 minimum, Dolby Atmos downsampling a bonus.
-*Wired* speaker connections (don't care how good a wireless system is, i can always here a buzz or whine or something in my dead-quiet home).
- At least 1 additional HDMI input and one additional fiber optic input (to match my current connections).
-Wireless N dual channel minimum (until i finally get my house cat6 done for the below)
-Wired ethernet connection.
-Lastly: Not expensive!! Xnay on the $$$ eh? My current Samsung HTIB with speakers and Everything was $250 new (probably a boxing day sale, but still), so I'm hoping a modernized replacement won't be too much more...

That's all I can think of for now.
Again: I'm looking at HTIB because of size, mainly because receivers are always so huge, but if you have a suggestion for a small receiver + smart/bluray player that isn't ridiculously expensive, I'm all ears.

Side note: Sorry for all these long weird threads. I'm not handling the pandemic well, don't talk to anyone often or for any long lengths of time, so I have no one/no people to bounce ideas off of. I'm making liberal use of the forum for lots of ideas and questions in my head, and I hope you guys don't mind too much
... Or at least don't mind enough to reply, if you want to.

Thanks yet again all 👍

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Edit:
There is also the possibility of getting some/all of the smart features in the TV, I realize. But then I'd have to buy the new tv as well, which I'm not certain I'm prepared to do.

Additionally, no TV has BluRay players or amps... So I'd need at least a BluRay player amp hybrid or the two extra boxes regardless.

JD

Staff member
Something like Google's new Android TV dongle that's been rumoured would cover all the "smart" features you're looking for and hopefully it's affordable. NVIDIA Shield or Amazon FireTV or Roku would too. I'm not sure I would trust a "smart" bluray player to handle these duties.

Alternate would be getting an XBOX One or PS4, both should start to be on clearance with the new consoles coming, but they'd make a solid bluray player + smart apps device. Not certain they support casting though.

And then on the HTIB front, if $250 is your budget, you're looking at a soundbar. I'm not aware of any 5.1 HTIB that comes in at that price point. If your Samsung setup still works for audio usage, you're probably best off keeping it.