What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Antec 3000

ryanlusk

Hey HWC, welcome to my first ever mod / build log, I'mma call it the Antec 3000
I plan to...
Cut cable management holes
Paint the inside black
Stealth the DVD drive
Replace the fans with those orange xigmatek ones
Put CCFL's in it (blue)
Case Window

DAY ONE​

Just got my Antec case in the mail today, was so pumped to start modding it.
Some shots of the box.
1.JPG

2.JPG

Screws and stuff, don't laugh at my flower bed sheet
3.JPG

Was a bit too excited to snap pics of the case before I started tearing it apart :eek:
Front Panel:
5.JPG

A big scratch I made while laying the side panels against each other, definitely a :sozo: moment.
4.JPG

The naked case
6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

The fans, once my wallet says okay, I'll have some xigmatek's in there
9.JPG

The top, taped off, getting ready to paint :D
10.JPG

I know I shoulda cut my cable management holes first, but my motherboard is at my mom's, so I figured I shouldn't guess.

The little parts being painted, more or less just trying to get a feel for the spray paint
11.JPG

Here's the paintjob done more or less
13.JPG

Heh, first time modder / painter ¬_¬
14.JPG

15.JPG

At least it'll be covered by the motherboard

16.JPG

Done, and inside now
18.JPG

19.JPG

20.JPG

21.JPG

22.JPG

This looks really bad here, but looks fine in real life.

The fans installed
23.JPG

The basic idea of everything on the inside
26.JPG

Seriously, what HWC worklog is complete without a cat ?
27.JPG

Yeah I know he looks like he's going to die, he's like 18 years old.
Older than me, possible he's dead in that pic haha, good old Houston.

The end
28.JPG

29.JPG

Before Cable Management

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Now to find out where I need to cut...
4.JPG

Doing the Cable Management

HPIM1664.JPG

Marking where to cut

HPIM1666.JPG

Weapon of choice

An hour later...

HPIM1667.JPG

HPIM1669.JPG

There it is with the holes cut in it.

HPIM1670.JPG

HPIM1671.JPG

My ghetto u-channel wannabe, once I get ahold of something better, I'll use that

HPIM1673.JPG

HPIM1674.JPG

Running the cables through

HPIM1675.JPG

From the front

HPIM1680.JPG

HPIM1681.JPG

HPIM1682.JPG

The mess in back

HPIM1677.JPG

HPIM1678.JPG

I'm not happy with the cable management yet, I'm sure I can do better, then again, these cables are stiff and annoying to work with.

Inverting the Drives

Flipped HD, tight fit for that fan !
HPIM1683.JPG

HPIM1685.JPG

Hiding Fan Cables

I just ran them right behind the motherboard.

Day%204%201.JPG

Day%204%202.JPG

Still not sure what to do with the fan controllers though, I'll probably just tape them in somewhere.
But they're annoying.

Also I moved my drives to the bottom slots.

Anywho, I plan on doing a case window next.
Thanks for looking !

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
Looks about how my Antec 900 ended up. First time modding is always fun :thumb:

BTW to make it look better, use a tripod and no flash, just make sure you have ample room lighting. Another option would be to take it outside on a fairly sunny day. The flash is what makes all your blemishes visible.

ryanlusk

Looks about how my Antec 900 ended up. First time modding is always fun :thumb:

BTW to make it look better, use a tripod and no flash, just make sure you have ample room lighting. Another option would be to take it outside on a fairly sunny day. The flash is what makes all your blemishes visible.

Thanks for the suggestions, I gotta take some more good pics, my camera is really bad, so it's tough, but going outside sounds like a good idea, the pictures make it look worse than it really is in a lot of the pics.

I'll keep the self etching primer in mind for next time.
Never painted anything like this before haha, I need all the suggestions I can get.

morphy

nice job and I like how you were straight up about showing your painting skills...most people would just prefer to show the good looking shots.

As for self etching primer I think you're fine since you used Tremclad (rust paints don't require primer). And primer doesn't make a paint job look better - it provides a better surface for the paint to adhere to where if you had used normal paint without Primer the paint job might likely flake or peel in a year or less.
Personally for case interiors I'd use primer then spray it with matte non-rust paint (more even look, paint adheres better, fast drying allowing for multiple coats to be done without waiting long) but that's just me. But Tremclad or any rust paint is fine too.

Those blemishes on the paint job are normal especially when using spray cans. Paint sags (from overspraying on an area or paint dripping off edges) and paint blobs ( from imperfect nozzles ) are hard to avoid for a beginner.

Kinda too late now since you've finished your build but as future reference, to get rid of it you'll have to wetsand those areas with low grit 240-320 sandpaper. If the sags/blobs are rather large start with a coarser sandpaper (180-220) then move to 240 or higher. It's like lapping a heatsink only you're not lapping to a mirror finish , just sanding off the imperfections to get a smooth finish for the next coat. After that apply the next coat and if things go well it'll be the final coat. :)

Last edited:

lowfat

Staff member
BTW, this isn't OCN

I assume you just copied and pasted your worklog from overclock.net?

Either way, welcome.

sa seba

That Tremclad stuff is beautiful, used it for my cases too.
What happened with the dvd drive? Is the mesh cover directly attached to the disk pullout ? (you know, the thingy that opens on a drive, don't know the 'real' name for it)

Caldezar

Welcome to HWC! Good job overall for your first time for sure. And I love the creative use of materials.

A few tips:

+1 for wet sanding for a cleaner paint finish

One of the easiest ways to prevent paint pooling and dripping with spray paint is to keep your can a little bit further from the case when spraying. Two lighter coats > one heavy coat IMO

Lightly sanding the area before spraying helps prevent running as well (also good for the life of the paint since it adheres better)

Electrical tape was a good substitute for u-trim, but measuring and cutting a fitted amount keeps it a bit cleaner

The phrase "what *edit* worklog is complete without a cat?" should be changed to: "What worklog is complete without duct tape?"

Latest posts