What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Antec Quattro 850W and 8800GTX

Cptn Vortex

This is boggling! I got this PSU today to give me a nice modular PSU. Took 2 hours to get my wiring just perfect, and nice and clean in my TJ09. Fired up great. Got into windows, and got the little message from Nvidia that there was not enough power being supplied to my videocard, which is an 8800GTX. I thought that was kinda strange. So, I tried using the 2 other PCIe connectors that were of the modular sort. Same problem. Tried a combination, one of the modular ones, one of the ones that are permanent. Same problem. I have now tried every imaginable combination. Nothing. HELPS ME OUTS!!

Patriote

Damn! That sucks! I heard that this PSU wasn't effective under low-loads... Which would mean when your comp is IDLE. Try running some 3D Benchmark and see if the message still appears.

Glad i didn't bought that PSU... Sucks for you! Hope someone will be able to help you out here! The PSU Might also just be defective..

Cptn Vortex

I ran 3DMark06....and the warning wasn't joking when it said it would slow my vid card down... was averaging 4-10 fps.....

Also, I fired up CS, and it just Artifact'd to hell.

I just pulled this piece of junk out and put my 800W Ultra X-infinity back in, and it is working find. Good Job Antec. Way to suck.

Patriote

Don't let this get you down. Either get a refund from where you bought the PSU or ask for a RMA. It's impossible that such PSU can't handle a 8800GTX. Hell, i have heard from some ppls that they are using this PSU and running a 8800GTX...

Can i ask you a question tho? Why the switch from your 800W Ultra X-infinity for that Antec Quattro ?

Cptn Vortex

I made the switch, well cause I want Modular! The Ultra is a great unit, don't get me wrong, but there were a few annoyances. In my TJ09, the 8 pin ATX cable is just long enough, but it is so tight that I completely block all my remaining expansion slots. Also, there are way too many cables, and not the most places to hide them in that case.

Anyway, I did return the Antec, and swapped it for a Corsair 620W. I don't need all that excess power, I just need something stable, reliable, and long cables. Just measured the 8Pin ATX cable: 19" on the Ultra, 21" on the Corsair. Eggcellent.

Also, for some reason, the Antec only had 3 spots on the modular interface to plug in other cables, like Sata and Molex cables. Now with the corsair, there are 5 spots, so I can use almost all the cables supplied, if need be in the future. That was something that was slightly puzzling when I was installing the Antec. I had 2 of the SATA string cables, and one Molex string cable, but then there were no additional places left on the PSU if I wanted to add more!

Patriote

Bah, good choice!

I just ordered the Ultra X3 1000W Modular PSU for my DUal 8800GTX Quad core set-up to come.

Patriote

I have heard many good things about the X3 line. Will you perhaps make up a review?

I will give you my personal feelings about the PSU when i get to install it but i won't make any review of it. Why? Because i totally suck at doing reviews and i have no clue how to test a PSU more than hooking it up and loading it LOL!

But you can have a look here jonnyGURU's Personal Website

AntecRep

Antec Rep.
Antec TPQ & 8800 graphics card

Antec’s TruePower Quattro power supplies, the TPQ-850 and TPQ-1000 have way more than enough power to run an 8800 graphics card and are SLI certified by NVIDIA. The actual issue with the graphics card and System Sentinel is a communication issue. The Supply has plenty of power, but the card is not handling it properly.
<o:p></o:p>
This problem is not only with the Antec supply. Other brands of power supply are having these issues as well. There have been reports of power supplies from Corsair, ThermalTake, Enermax, Rosewill, OCZ, XCLIO, and Silverstone not working with these cards as well.
<o:p></o:p>
NVIDIA SLI certified our power supply to work with the cards. Months after the launch of their card we started to have problems with the 8800GTX and the Quattro supplies. We implemented a fix at this time because we were the only company with the issue. This fix worked for any user having the 8800GTX issue.

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--> <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]-->Then NVIDIA released the (G92) core series of graphics cards GTS/GT. These cards sometimes do not work with either the original or fixed version of our power supply. We have been researching the issue, and NVIDIA has been testing this issue in their labs. The problem appears to be a hardware interaction. With the right (wrong?) motherboard/graphics card/PSU, this issue occurs. Many combinations work, however (we’ve got an off-the-shelf Crosshair+8800GT 512+Quattro 850 system running perfectly in our lab), so changing any of the components could possibly make the system work. It seems that a bios fix/flash is going to be the final solution, but we don’t have any definite answers at this time.