What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Anti Static Devices?

tgraszat14

I'm interested in buying an anti static gloves or wrist band or whatever is used when building a computer. I know you can just touch the case or what not but id rather be safe than sorry. I'm just wondering if anyone has any they would recommend. Thanks!!!

enaberif

I'm interested in buying an anti static gloves or wrist band or whatever is used when building a computer. I know you can just touch the case or what not but id rather be safe than sorry. I'm just wondering if anyone has any they would recommend. Thanks!!!
Touching the case is just as effective as using those straps. I've built hundreds of machines and never used one of them.

Mars

Just build one yourself, all you need is a metal wire running from something grounded (like your case, plugged in) to you.

biff

I've been working on PC's for 16 years and never used one and never had any problems. It's more an issue dealing with discrete components and not assembled circuit boards.

donimo

I handle PCB's all day every day at my job (for 7+ years), and have never had an issue with static...

enaberif

All they are is a alligator clip to a metal part that has a wire that runs to a resistor so that a shock travels to that and stops.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Wear shoes, do not work on carpet, touch metal case before handling parts. That's been my motto for 5 years, never zapped a component.

donimo

The resistor is actually there to protect the wearer (wearee?) from electrical shock while allowing high-voltage to bleed off to ground, but this only applies when working on live circuitry (which you should avoid).

If you touch the metal of the case you are already at the same electrical potential as the components inside it, so it would be practically impossible for you to discharge any harmful jolts to your mobo. No worries.

Latest posts

Twitter