What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

antivirus question

Gabe_G92

Hi guys I am a new member to the forum, I have a question I am wondering what antivirus software should i use, I am looking for a antivirus software that has the following
1. good a protecting my computer
2.Light on system resources
3. has a easy GUI
4. Has a scheduler built in?
5. has to be 100% free.
any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks Gabe:biggrin:

<mytubeelement data="{"bundle":{"label_delimitor":":","percentage":"%","smart_buffer":"Smart Buffer","start_playing_when_buffered":"Start playing when buffered","sound":"Sound","desktop_notification":"Desktop Notification","continuation_on_next_line":"-","loop":"Loop","only_notify":"Only Notify","estimated_time":"Estimated Time","global_preferences":"Global Preferences","no_notification_supported_on_your_browser":"No notification style supported on your browser version","video_buffered":"Video Buffered","buffered":"Buffered","hyphen":"-","buffered_message":"The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play.","not_supported":"Not Supported","on":"On","off":"Off","click_to_enable_for_this_site":"Click to enable for this site","desktop_notification_denied":"You have denied permission for desktop notification for this site","notification_status_delimitor":";","error":"Error","adblock_interferance_message":"Adblock (or similar extension) is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add this url to adblock whitelist.","calculating":"Calculating","waiting":"Waiting","will_start_buffering_when_initialized":"Will start buffering when initialized","will_start_playing_when_initialized":"Will start playing when initialized","completed":"Completed","buffering_stalled":"Buffering is stalled. Will stop.","stopped":"Stopped","hr":"Hr","min":"Min","sec":"Sec","any_moment":"Any Moment","popup_donate_to":"Donate to","extension_id":null},"prefs":{"desktopNotification":true,"soundNotification":true,"logLevel":0,"enable":true,"loop":false,"hidePopup":true,"autoPlay":false,"autoBuffer":true,"autoPlayOnBuffer":false,"autoPlayOnBufferPercentage":42,"autoPlayOnSmartBuffer":true,"quality":"highres","fshd":false,"onlyNotification":false,"enableFullScreen":true,"saveBandwidth":false,"hideAnnotations":false,"turnOffPagedBuffering":false}}" event="preferencesUpdated" id="myTubeRelayElementToPage"></mytubeelement><mytubeelement data="{"loadBundle":true}" event="relayPrefs" id="myTubeRelayElementToTab"></mytubeelement>

Rison

Administrator
Folding Team
I had a recommendation, right up until I read #5.

#1 doesn't exist, that's based on good browsing habits and common sense.

Otherwise, you're probably looking at Avast.

bignick277

If it must be 100% free, then you're pretty much looking at (in no particular order):

AV only:

Emsisoft Anti-Malware
Avast
AVG (does AVG still have a free version?)
Malwarebytes
Avira

Firewall only:

ZoneAlarm

AV + Firewall

Comodo

As for which one you should use. I don't currently use any of them, but I have used all them at one point or another in the past. So you will likely need to do a fair amount of reading and decide which is best for you. Comodo is good, but really invasive. Heavy handed may be a better way to put it. ZoneAlarm tends to be temperamental when it comes to rules taking effect. Emsisoft is excellent, but can be difficult to find the free version these days and even then only offers live protection on paid versions.

As to you can tell, I can't currently give you definitive information, because I currently use Kaspersky Internet Security. Which pretty much ticks all your box's except for the free criteria. So you'll have to do the rest of the legwork.

Last edited:

Tyrann

Avast most likely. Avira is rated high for protection but has intrusive notifications. Its easier now to not even need these anti-virus programs anymore. Just know how to browse. Unless you are really into xxx sites, then you can be smart with your browser of choice. Chrome for everything, Firefox private mode for XXX and never IE/Edge lol.

Rison

Administrator
Folding Team
AVG was purchased by Avast - and the last few years was terrible bloat ware. Ads, annoying popups, etc. Most likely AVG will transfer over to Avast at some point.

Malwarebytes isn't antivirus, it's a reactionary anti malware. It doesn't offer live protection without a subscription.

x15Artx

For a free antivirus on Windows:
1) Avira free, or as a second choice Avast

DCCV44.2223

I'd stick to offerings from the tier 2 vendors, AVG, Avast, Bitdefender, Panda and Sophos all have free versions for home use, protection wise they're all equally bad/good, the rest you'll need to try it out yourself, the trial order I'd go would be Bitdefender first, then Sophos and Panda... Personally I'd stick with Windows Security Essential/Defender rather than going anywhere near AVG/Avast.

Gabe_G92

I'd stick to offerings from the tier 2 vendors, AVG, Avast, Bitdefender, Panda and Sophos all have free versions for home use, protection wise they're all equally bad/good, the rest you'll need to try it out yourself, the trial order I'd go would be Bitdefender first, then Sophos and Panda... Personally I'd stick with Windows Security Essential/Defender rather than going anywhere near AVG/Avast.
what antivirus do you currently use? DCCV44.2223? I look forward to hearing from you thanks.
<mytubeelement data="{"bundle":{"label_delimitor":":","percentage":"%","smart_buffer":"Smart Buffer","start_playing_when_buffered":"Start playing when buffered","sound":"Sound","desktop_notification":"Desktop Notification","continuation_on_next_line":"-","loop":"Loop","only_notify":"Only Notify","estimated_time":"Estimated Time","global_preferences":"Global Preferences","no_notification_supported_on_your_browser":"No notification style supported on your browser version","video_buffered":"Video Buffered","buffered":"Buffered","hyphen":"-","buffered_message":"The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play.","not_supported":"Not Supported","on":"On","off":"Off","click_to_enable_for_this_site":"Click to enable for this site","desktop_notification_denied":"You have denied permission for desktop notification for this site","notification_status_delimitor":";","error":"Error","adblock_interferance_message":"Adblock (or similar extension) is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add this url to adblock whitelist.","calculating":"Calculating","waiting":"Waiting","will_start_buffering_when_initialized":"Will start buffering when initialized","will_start_playing_when_initialized":"Will start playing when initialized","completed":"Completed","buffering_stalled":"Buffering is stalled. Will stop.","stopped":"Stopped","hr":"Hr","min":"Min","sec":"Sec","any_moment":"Any Moment","popup_donate_to":"Donate to","extension_id":null},"prefs":{"desktopNotification":true,"soundNotification":true,"logLevel":0,"enable":true,"loop":false,"hidePopup":true,"autoPlay":false,"autoBuffer":true,"autoPlayOnBuffer":false,"autoPlayOnBufferPercentage":42,"autoPlayOnSmartBuffer":true,"quality":"highres","fshd":false,"onlyNotification":false,"enableFullScreen":true,"saveBandwidth":false,"hideAnnotations":false,"turnOffPagedBuffering":false}}" event="preferencesUpdated" id="myTubeRelayElementToPage"></mytubeelement><mytubeelement data="{"loadBundle":true}" event="relayPrefs" id="myTubeRelayElementToTab"></mytubeelement>