What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Any good modern city building games?

WarSanta

Just saw the City Skylines bundle on humble bundle where you can get the base game for a dollar. I haven't played a city building game since the old Caesar and Pharaoh games. How are the new city building games like City Skylines or the Tropico and Anno series? Are they similar to the old Caesar and Pharaoh games?

Izerous

Folding Team
City Skylines I'd relate more to Sim City 2000 and I really like this one. I like how you actually have to think about traffic, one ways, lanes etc. The steam workshop ads a whole extra bunch of layers with traffic management tools, custom buildings etc. BiffaPlaysGames if you look at some of his video he does a lot of city fixing, and building up of new expansions. Watch some of his stuff and I think it gives a good overlay of what the game is like.

Tropico i'm not a big fan but iirc they would compare more to caesar/pharaoh (been a long time since I played any of them)

Anno... i have mixed feelings about it. Didn't play 1800, spent some time with 2205 and it was ok but I never did really bother to "finish" it. I prefered 2070. In 2070 you had limited inventory you could shove onto your mothership, maybe you found a windmill power improvement and you reached a point where you realized you made disastrous decisions. Shove anything super valuable into your mothership and start again with access to said inventory. I recall struggling with 2070 in the begining but I watched a signle tutorial and it exposed a bunch of bad decisions I was making early on.

moocow

Surviving Mars is kind of in this category. It's not bad but a bit of micro managing your building drones and population growth. Transport Fever might be in the same category but you're just focusing on traffic.

WarSanta

Surviving Mars is kind of in this category. It's not bad but a bit of micro managing your building drones and population growth. Transport Fever might be in the same category but you're just focusing on traffic.

Got Surviving Mars for free on EGS so I'll definitely check that one out.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Skylines is pretty fun but also pretty frustrating. I find it cathartic and relaxing to fix huge traffic jams and have thousands of cars flowing smoothly, but at the same time I have no idea how to make a profitable city in that game.

So ya.... I start a new game in skylines, turn on infinite money, THEN have fun. Haha

JD

Staff member
"Before We Leave" is a bit more laid back/basic city builder. All hexagon-grid based and limited world space. All depends what you're looking for these days as chances are something out there exists to fill it.

draemn

You can't go wrong with trying the cities: skylines from humble bundle for a buck and change. If you like the idea of a much better sim city game that has a little bit less of the "mayor micromanager" then you'll probably love this and be worth the $25 for DLC. The game has quite a bit to micro-manage/design, but in a different way than sim city. Steam workshop for it is great :)

Latest posts