What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Any OLED owners out there?

Dwayne

It is almost time for the annual Superbowl TV sales, and I am thinking of upgrading from a few years old Samsung 4K to an LG OLED (or perhaps Sony). I am hoping that Costco replenishes stock in early January as it seems most of the OLEDs have been sold out for a while, a 2020 tradition apparently!

I am looking for some first hand input from forum members. Anyone have an OLED? Would you do anything different? I primarily watch sports on the tube (well, that's what we called it when it was a tube! hmm guess I should revert to telly?) and DVDs through a Sony UHD player. Mixed use in normal room ambient as well as darkened for movies. I don't console game, so gaming isn't really a concern.

I don't have a budget, but my Scottish ancestry helps to restrain my purchasing decision.

Looking forward to seeing some folks thoughts. I have been doing some review reading/watching, rtings.com being a favourite site, but first hand experience is too valuable to ignore. Thanks!

FreeKnight

I've got two now, a 55" and a 65". The 65" is a few years old, no burn in or issues yet. I absolutely love them. Once you get used to the color and blacks of the oleds it's really hard to go back to older panel types.

I'd recommend going the costco route for the cheap extended warranty. Otherwise the LGs have been really good for me. Native Netflix, Prime and Plex apps on the LG store get you your biggest content options without needing a box or console.

If there's any specific questions you have I can see if I can provide more input. JD has one as well IIRC and he did have some burn in issues as well, but I think he said he kept it on CNN a bit (I may be thinking of another member though).

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I went out of my way to get the only OLED screen laptop on the market a few years ago. And the screen is absolutely gorgeous and was worth the expense over a regular screen, 110%.

OLED is absolutely the best screen tech in existence, and if I could afford to replace all my TVs with OLED... I would do so, gladly.

JD

Staff member
Generally speaking, Sony has better motion handling/processing, so that may be the better choice for sports. LG has all the gaming features (V
RR, adaptive sync, etc). Technically they use the same panels, so they're relatively the same outside of the "software".

I'm not sure if an OLED would do much for your sports viewing pleasure though, I would think a larger TV would be more benefitical? OLED excels at contrast/colour volume but sporting fields are very brightly lit and usually mostly the same colour (white, green, etc).

If you do have sports playing all day (I'm guessing you watch replays too?), it wouldn't surprise me if the score ticker ended up being burned in. My B7 after about 2 years had noticable burnin from CP24 (Toronto news station) and that didn't even run "all day" but enough consecutive hours I suppose. I bought it in late-2017, I'd say the burn-in became noticeable by mid-2019 and annoyingly noticeable by mid-2020. With the COVID lockdowns, I think it excelled things a bit since the TV is basically on from 6AM till 10PM (not strictly CP24 of course, maybe 4-6 hours out of that).

Thankfully LG replaced the panel for only the cost of labour which I just had done this year ($330), so it looks like new again, but I've never had to replace a panel on a TV before. Usually I get about 8yr (4yr in living room, 4yr in basement) out of a TV before giving it away, and never had any TV repairs done before.

Dwayne

Thanks for the input so far.

My viewing is typically just in games, and not the sports reviews as I have seen the game already. If I get the Centre Ice package then I could have 2 games in a row, but the score placement changes depending on the broadcaster, so burn in should not be an issue, I would hope.

Current TV is a 60" and I was thinking of a modest bump to 65", plenty large for my viewing distance I think.

I will try and get some eyes on the TVs in the warehouse close by to see if I can tell the differences between the panels. Hearing that the viewing experience with OLED isn't all just hype helps with the decision.

lowfat

Staff member
OLED is amazing but for sports I don't see the point. The 'infinite contrast' or instant pixel response won't help here.

JD

Staff member
I guess it also depends what your "Samsung 4K" is today. If it's only a few years old and was near the top-end when bought, you probably won't notice much difference. I don't think TV's have changed tredmendously in the last couple years, but they have gotten cheaper.

Do you have a lot of people sitting off to the sides? The OLED would help in those extreme viewing angles.

Dwayne

Our TV is this one:

Model year was 2016 but I think we got it in early 2017, probably on sale through Costco. And I don't think it was a top of the line model, but it has been a good TV.

Just the wife and I watch this TV, so no off angle viewing as we have the easy chairs set up pretty much centered.

I guess I am just getting that itch to upgrade, more for the sake of upgrading and less for the need. I will admit that I have been watching the info on the OLEDs for quite a few years now and waiting for the prices to become more mainstream than top end.

JD

Staff member
Doesn't look like you have actual HDR support, not that it matters for broadcast sports though. 6-series is usually the mid-range I think, pretty sure the KS8000 was the "top" model back around then as it's what I was looking at over the B7 OLED.

Something like the Sony X900H/X950H or Samsung Q80T/Q90T might scratch your itch too while being more affordable. I think a high quality LED TV would still give you some improvements.

If you can find a 2019 OLED from LG or Sony, that might be a good choice for you too as it should be cheaper and doesn't really lack anything of importance for your usage. Mostly just the HDMI 2.1/gaming features are missing.

Coach

I have an LG 55" OLED a number of years old. IIRC it is a 5500 series I think. I like. IMHO Deep blacks are more important that bright brights (generally), so OLED is for me.

Latest posts