What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Any real diff between these two SSDs?

Mac29

i'm seeing very little difference between the Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5 SSD and the Samsung 870 Evo 500GB. Except "deep queue mixed IO" but that doesn't sound relevant for my usage: web, casual gaming, future lite video editing, databases. I won't lose any sleep over how many TB of writes either of these will get over the years.

I've read random mixed IO and deep queue speeds are not important for general use. Also read on one site the Samsung gets ten times the "random read" IOPS vs. the Crucial but several other sites show no difference really. I could check the manufacturer's sites but ...... Would you think the Samsung is worth $10 more?

Thanks,

Mac

lowfat

Staff member
Random IO is very important. But for desktops / laptops, only the low queue depth 1-2. You'll generally not see higher without multiple users hitting the drive at the same time.

But SATA really hit its limit there a while ago. So just get whatever is cheapest IMO.

Bond007

Mx500 is pretty much the only sata drive I have recommended for a while…I would stick with it if you aren’t going to nvme.

draemn

I hate how marketing has realized that all SSD perform the same at low queue depth so they market a high queue depth to "show" how one drive is better than another (but ignoring the fact that it doesn't matter to gamers).

MARSTG

Evo is a median drive while MX is at the higher end, and for the 2.5"/sata 3 standards pretty much the only one I would look at. Actually my 2nd desktop has a 250 GB MX500.

Latest posts