What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Any successor to the 970 Pro in the works

FreeKnight

Wondering if there's a successor to the 970 pro in the works, or if it's expected to be the top M2 drive for a little while yet. I haven't paid attention to the SSD scene much lately but will have to find something to put in my Ncase build, so I'm mulling over splurging a bit.

The Great Gazoo

I think there may be something coming, but I haven't heard much rumours. I say there might be something coming because I have seen 970 PROs on sale lately - I picked one up myself. Plus these are about a year old now.

MARSTG

The new WD BLACK is nipping at the heels of 970 PRO and so is Toshiba XG6 something is in the works for sure.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Maybe they finally release a form of there Znand drives or micron starts selling there version of optane for once.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I'd say it matters not. We're really at the limits of current PCIex4 for speeds anyways.

Sure, PCIe4 is due out "soon(tm)" and they can make a new faster controller. But until PCIe4 boards come out we're talking, what, low single digit performance increases at best?

Shadowarez

Folding Team
2x bandwidth but that's theoretical actual performance will be in latency/density/Durability. Plus from all that's floating around pcie 4.0 will be short lived as pcie 5 is already on some IBM test systems and sampling. If that's true then don't see pcie 4 as anything but a $$$$ grab.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
So probably doubling the interface width to x8 would be a good idea.

Absolutely. The problem is the m.2 interface cant do x8. So now you're back to slot loaded SSD's which weve had in existance since SATA based SSDs were a thing.

The entire SSD ecosystem is due for an overhaul, but I think they'll just develop chipsets to take advantage of the bandwidth no matter what is given. Thats the nature of parallelism, you can just scale it bigger.

AkG

IMHO... going to a x8 or even better x16 interface would be good and bad. It would be good as it would split the ecosystem into two parts: M2 for entry level to mainstream... and PCIe for enthusiasts. With a bigger form factor would come less worries over thermal limiting... which will only get worse the harder the NAND is pushed. The bad thing is... most boards dont have enough x16 slots to satisfy my needs.

TBH I think the M2 form-factor for non-portable systems is... less than optimal. Not really designed to do what 'we' expect it to be doing. We need a modern equivalent of SATA ports w/ 'hdd bays'. That was what U.2 was supposed to be. Too bad it never caught on (due to Intel licensing costs). I expect we will look back on this period as a 'transition period' between when SATA died and X took over. With M.2 in its existing form, being a stopgap measure.

Latest posts