What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

any Ubiquiti UniFi guru's here?

JD

Staff member
Might be best to factory reset everything and start from scratch? That sounds pretty strange.

Does the USG itself have Internet?

Prickly007

Installing my UDM had a few hiccups, related to (as I recall) whether the modem in bridge mode was turned on before the UDM was powered up.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Installing my UDM had a few hiccups, related to (as I recall) whether the modem in bridge mode was turned on before the UDM was powered up.

Always best to bridge mode first before changing your gateway.

Hows it going now? I really want to upgrade and get away from this goddamn T3200 Telus junk, but the UDM pro is still out of stock...I could get an ER-L, but I like the unifi userspace...

JD

Staff member
Not sure about your specific use cases, but the UDM (and I'm guessing UXG), are lacking a lot of features former UniFi (USG) products had. Most notably, no way to do custom configurations with JSON files anymore. As far as I know, there's no multi-VLAN support on the WAN interface, so that excludes those of us with IPTV that rely on VLANs and IGMP/Multicasting (Bell Fibe for example, likely Telus too). Do your research before buying to make sure it fits your use case.

From my POV, the EdgeRouter line gives you more functionality, and UNMS can still give you a simplified overview of things if that's what you're looking for. It's a shame they can't blend the 2 together though.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Not sure about your specific use cases, but the UDM (and I'm guessing UXG), are lacking a lot of features former UniFi (USG) products had. Most notably, no way to do custom configurations with JSON files anymore. As far as I know, there's no multi-VLAN support on the WAN interface, so that excludes those of us with IPTV that rely on VLANs and IGMP/Multicasting (Bell Fibe for example, likely Telus too). Do your research before buying to make sure it fits your use case.

From my POV, the EdgeRouter line gives you more functionality, and UNMS can still give you a simplified overview of things if that's what you're looking for. It's a shame they can't blend the 2 together though.

This just reiterates my previous points about blurred product lines, and no clear directly...

Sigh.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I need some help setting up my gear. I / we (my work IT guys) cant seem to get the USG to open the internet to my switch.

my network consists of a USG, a US-8-60w switch with a CloudKey G1 and UAP-AC-Lite.

I only have a modem...no combo unit. our ISP is a small private firm and only provide the modem, router / switch is all up to you.

If thats the case USG should log you in to your ISP, or your 'modem' needs to be in bridge mode so the USG can route/dhcp properly. Can you bypass the additional items and just plug a computer directly in to the USG to adopt it via the controller?

Dollars to doughnuts you're double NAT'd right now.

Entz

Hows it going now? I really want to upgrade and get away from this goddamn T3200 Telus junk, but the UDM pro is still out of stock...I could get an ER-L, but I like the unifi userspace...
I have been watching as well. The UDM Pro is available on the US site but not on the Canadian one :cry: Was considering doing it before our dollar gets too stupid (The 515 if it holds is below conversion) but its looking like April 2020 availablity.

Edit: Forget that, they have a UXG-Pro coming, which is all I need. No DVR, No switch, just and In and an out.

Last edited:

Latest posts