What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Any way to prove rogers wrong?

Mr. Gruntsworthy

I have the exact internet service the OP does. Just thought I'd clear a few things up:

1) The one dude was correct in saying the popup doesn't show up the moment you reach it. Chances are, when you got that 75% usage pop up, you had already hit 100% and going higher. It says right on the Rogers site that usage may not show up for 24 hours.

2) Torrenting is the largest consumption of bandwidth for us. This includes seeding. The 60GB monthly limit isn't limited to JUST downstream info (downloading), but upstream info as well (all the seeding you've done for torrents).

Frankly, you should at least have your facts straight before calling shenannigans on Rogers' part.

Chilly

I have the exact internet service the OP does. Just thought I'd clear a few things up:

1) The one dude was correct in saying the popup doesn't show up the moment you reach it. Chances are, when you got that 75% usage pop up, you had already hit 100% and going higher. It says right on the Rogers site that usage may not show up for 24 hours.

2) Torrenting is the largest consumption of bandwidth for us. This includes seeding. The 60GB monthly limit isn't limited to JUST downstream info (downloading), but upstream info as well (all the seeding you've done for torrents).

Frankly, you should at least have your facts straight before calling shenannigans on Rogers' part.
This.

Mr. Gruntsworthy

Fixed that for you.

If Rogers can't even keep their bandwidth graphs up to date, why should we pay them for overages?
because it says RIGHT ON THE SITE, as well as the POP UP, that the latest usage might not show up for up to 24 hours. Keeping it up to date to that minute in time would play hell with Roger's servers. Name one major internet service that DOES keep their usage to-the-minute. I'm willing to bet that you can't.

Seriously, don't call me out unless you have a chance in hell of actually being right. :ban:

death_hawk

Keeping it up to date to that minute in time would play hell with Roger's servers.
How would it "play hell" with their servers? OH NOES! Not sticking stuff into a database! :blarg:

Name one major internet service that DOES keep their usage to-the-minute. I'm willing to bet that you can't.
Softlayer does fine for me.... But they're a Datacenter that bills for overages.

If you can't tell me how much I'm over right now, how do I know to curtail my usage?

And don't give me the "install your own graphs" as it's not as easy as it sounds if you have more than one computer.

Most routers don't even have a bandwidth monitoring function.

Seriously, don't call me out unless you have a chance in hell of actually being right.
And I called you out how? I think you need a :ban::blarg:

Mr. Gruntsworthy

Well, I concede that maybe others do indeed keep theirs up to date. But specifically Rogers doesn't. Morally wrong or not, legally Rogers is covered by their statement of a 24 hour delay for usage clocking. As well, it seems they provide adequate warning to users about the aforementioned delay.

The OP has nothing to go on with his argument against Rogers, I'm afraid.

And my apologies earlier about my unwarranted venting. I was not in a good mood earlier and felt very argumentative :(

mo' power

I usually log in to rogers once a week just to keep track of my usage. Even more so in the last 10 days of my billing cycle. I've had no problems so far even though I've come close to my 60GB cap a few times. I would suggest the same for everyone that does moderate to heavy up/downloading especially with large popular files. You can always set your up/download bandwidth on utorrent.

Cheator

Well, I concede that maybe others do indeed keep theirs up to date. But specifically Rogers doesn't. Morally wrong or not, legally Rogers is covered by their statement of a 24 hour delay for usage clocking. As well, it seems they provide adequate warning to users about the aforementioned delay.

The OP has nothing to go on with his argument against Rogers, I'm afraid.

And my apologies earlier about my unwarranted venting. I was not in a good mood earlier and felt very argumentative :(
While they might be covered, their monitoring process is clearly shitty. If i get a call the second day of billing saying i reached my cap, somethings up. Especially when I've never been over my 90 gig cap, and I don't use my rogers connection for anything but surfing anyway! Once can argue that there is a 24 hour delay yes but if they can't even measure traffic right, whose to say who is right?

vinister

just go buy Grid at the store. Its worth the money they want for it, it looks great, plays great, and will give you hours of fun. I hope Rogers does everything in their power to smack you for torrenting it, even if they have to lie about your download limits.

Latest posts

Twitter