What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Anybody here still running c2d or c2q CPU?

YukonTrooper

Not sure where my Phenom 9650 fits in around these c2d and c2q, but I'm so used to it's performance, I don't know what I'm missing. It runs most games in a playable fashion for me, but if someone could convince me in words what I'd see immediately I might grab a mid range mobo/cpu bundle and finally a SSD. One of those typical scenarios where "you don't know what you're missing if you've never had it". I really want to try an Intel setup, but just want a simple bundle package from my local retailer.
Get a SSD regardless of your processor.

PerryC

Currently have an E6600 right, running stock clocks. I do have a Q6600 on its way though. Also have most of the parts to put together a decent SB/IB build but other things have higher priority right now so that build keeps getting pushed back.

Dr_BenD_over

Fallen Folder
Sadly... yes... I never should have bought a house.

I started off with an E6300 when they were released, mainly because AMD were being dicks with the pricing of S939 X2's, I got the E6300, an SLI mobo (which sucked) and DD2 for less than an X2 upgrade would have cost. After a year I grabbed an G0 Q6600, OC'd the snot out of it and it's still going. The craptacular P5N-SLI board I bought got dumped about a month and a half after I bought, POS!

fubar

I have a Q6600 system with only 4gb of RAM. I cannot yet confirm but I'm having suspicions that I have insufficient RAM at times. I noticed 8gb is around $160+ and that is if it's in stock! :blarg: What to do?!? I notice the prices for DDR3 RAM and I want to upgrade but ivy bridge processors are so much $$$!! :sad:

I wish I could give this C2Q system to my Mom or something although that's overkill power for her. Heh-heh...

It's nice to have a 2nd system, though.

I am wondering what the most cost-effective, cheapest ivy bridge system I could buy. The i5-3450, for e.g, under $200, looks good. Ugh... I thought if cheap ivy bridge motherboards would be okay and just save up and buy piece by piece????

Damn, why does DDR2 RAM have to be so expensive?!? :angry2:

So, yep, still running C2Q! :haha:

Galcobar

Buy used RAM -- DDR2 is expensive for the same reason that Ford Model T parts are expensive, it's obsolete, few people need it, and those who do need it are willing to pay a higher price. Supply is much more limited than demand.

Bond007

I have my Phenom II x3 710 that is in C2D territory. Its fine for the time-being, but I am not a diehard gamer. Personally I wouldn't bother upgrading your cpu (or mine) with something else on the same socket unless a great used price came up. I wouldn't invest more than approx $75 in a replacement CPU, since above that I would rather just save the money and put it towards a full upgrade (a new i3 is faster in most tasks, including gaming, than anything on 775 or am2/3...with a few threaded scenarios being the exception).

Not sure where my Phenom 9650 fits in around these c2d and c2q, but I'm so used to it's performance, I don't know what I'm missing. It runs most games in a playable fashion for me, but if someone could convince me in words what I'd see immediately I might grab a mid range mobo/cpu bundle and finally a SSD. One of those typical scenarios where "you don't know what you're missing if you've never had it". I really want to try an Intel setup, but just want a simple bundle package from my local retailer.

Not sure what motherboard you have, but you could find a cheap drop in used x4 955 if your motherboard supports it. That would be a decent improvement.

b1lk1

Pffffffft. I still run a P4 S478 PC for web surfing/office work for a spare PC. Amazing how people have been sold on the "need" for constant upgrading when hardly anyone uses the power.

NyteOwl

Yours could be anywhere from a P35 to P45. I know those chipsets can use DDR3 if they set it up to.

If you mean mine, it's an X48

Pffffffft. I still run a P4 S478 PC for web surfing/office work for a spare PC. Amazing how people have been sold on the "need" for constant upgrading when hardly anyone uses the power.

Got that right.

Latest posts