What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

anybody use a tube amp?

Shadowmeph

it gives the best sound for guitars ( at least to me it does) the old march heads for guitars were the best because they were tube had allot of depth . I used to have bi/amp preamp and amp all tube for my home system many years ago 1980s and I have to say the depth of sound was allot better to me then the new amps out there its like comprising a digital older song to a lp record the sound to me the lp sound allot better then the digital. but then again this is just me.

supaflyx3

I have a tube preamp if that counts? It sounds nice with Russian NOS tubes, but it added interference whenever I used my IEMs with it so I removed it from my audio setup

Lysrin

As with Shadowmeph I use a tube amp as my primary guitar amp but I don't use tube for my headphone/sound listening. I'm looking for different things in those two situations though.

Mr. Friendly

tubes are supposed to add a warmth to headphones, so it makes me curious. the Darkvoice is a very popular model and the Schiit Vali 2 and Valhalla 2 are well thought of.

Lpfan4ever

I have a tube preamp if that counts? It sounds nice with Russian NOS tubes, but it added interference whenever I used my IEMs with it so I removed it from my audio setup
Yeah that's part of why I am getting rid of my Bravo V2 despite the sound being nice. Seems a lot of them on the lower end are susceptible to interference.

Chris

Tube amps and pre-amps. That is nostalgic and I always stop and stare at them whenever I see one. I built tube amps and pre-amps when I was in my teens. Built them from scratch, with point to point soldering. That is my nostalgia and I miss them. They do have a nice rich sound, likely caused by the high 3rd harmonic distortion. Digital amps have very low 3rd harmonic distortion, and thus often seen as true hi-fi. But, I like the sound with the harmonic distortions

Valkyrie

Chilliwack...Time Is Just A Rubber Band....
It's not the third or any odd order harmonics you want, it's the even ones that add the warmth with second being dominant. It is down to circuit topology more than tube or semiconductor doing the amplifying. There are other factors involved for sure, but suffice to say I love glowing bottles for everything except the heat.....which will show up on your power bill one way or the other.....great in the winter when you want heat..not so great in the summer when you want cool.

Edit: Oh.....and there is that life of the device bit. Tubes can live a long time, but transistors properly managed can live longer other factors being equal ie. no manufacturing defects, staying within ratings and such...

Last edited:

Chris

When it comes to sound, there is always different opinions from different people. I googled and found an agreement with me that the 3rd harmonics gives the "warmth" effect. But, no need to debate here, I'll just accept harmonic distortion produce the warmth, be it 2nd or 3rd.

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Twitter