What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

anybody use a tube amp?

Valkyrie

Chilliwack...Time Is Just A Rubber Band....
Not debating, and your right third harmonic is not bad. The problem is that amps that generate third will generate higher order odd harmonics which quickly become a dissonant problem, not to mention the inter-modulation effects....oh darn...I mentioned it...:biggrin:

This stuff was researched to death long before the first transistor amp was ever made.

https://archive.org/details/bitsavers_rcaRadiotr1954_94958503/page/n647

a later edition of this treatise.

Bottom line is that a well designed and implemented amp will deliver high fidelity sound whether it is tube or solid state.

Cheers and listen in good health.

Chris

Bottom line is that a well designed and implemented amp will deliver high fidelity sound whether it is tube or solid state.

Cheers and listen in good health.
I was at BB Radio years ago looking for a good receiver. I remember looking and listening to Denon and Yamaha. I asked the sales person why Denon has higher 3rd Harmonic distortion than any other brand. He could not explain it, but it sounded good.

Twitter