What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Anyone do PT work from home?

vulcan500rider

Hi, All:

No, really, it's not spam. Just soliciting advice.

A recent "reevaluation" and "reclassification" by Revenue Canada has just hoofed me in the nuts, and I'm told I owe an additional $5000. I've got many of the same problems as some of the fellows on here--young family, trying to pay off student loans, mortgage, etc, and I'm not sure this particular rock can be squeezed any harder. My days of a "fun budget" for things like computer parts are mostly gone; the only recent concession has been for a new camera in advance of our second bundle of joy's anticipated arrival in March.

Things are only going to get uglier with my wife on maternity leave, which is making me seriously consider a second job--but I want to be able to spend some time around my family, as well. Ideally, if I could find something that I could do on a flexible evening schedule, an hour or two a night, and bring in an extra couple of hundred buck a week, that would be perfect.

Googling this sort of thing doesn't work worth a damn, naturally, with all the scams out there. Does anyone already do something like this and have a lead I could follow up on? My primary skill is writing/editing, with an obvious secondary skill set in computers. I've thought about doing freelance writing, but the pay is pretty terrible, from what I've found.

Thanks for listening (well, reading)...

Last edited:

Bungwirez

Cripes man... I hear you loud and clear.

I'm really trying to find something similar. My wife is stay at home with the boy, and until recently to pick up the slack, I've been able to grab fairly regular overtime. But those days are coming to an end, plus its just exhausting me. So a PT at home job would be fantastic. Would let me stay home with the kid, and get the Mrs. out of the house too.

The idea I had was to try and finangle my way into the OHIP schedule. Working at a hospital, I know a butt ton of doctors... with a few exceptions, they all outsource their billing to freelancers, who cop 2.5% of the doc's total pre-tax income. times a bunch of docs that make in excess of 400K and you've got yourself a kick ass little data entry job.

IDK if this helps you, but maybe it will stir your creativity?

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
My neighbor did medical transcription from home. I think it paid fairly well too. Might be worth looking into.

igot6strings

I've also been eyeing a position like this myself. Being off work for nearly a year due to illness I'd love something I can do from home like this. Its nearly impossible to find any real results online for at home work as there is so many scams relating to this sort of thing on the net. If anyone is aware of any legit jobs like this I'd love to hear about them too.

chrisk

Folding Captain
I wonder if there is any extra cash to be had troubleshooting and fixing computers for people? Just as a method to get a few extra bucks. Take the rigs home and work on them there.

b1lk1

If you ask me, unless you have a skill/service you can charge cash for, it's not worth the trouble finding above table work for home.

FreeKnight

I had a few friends that worked from home screening dating site profiles and could pretty much choose when they work and how much (until there's no profiles I guess). They made better than minimum, but not great money as far as I know. Maybe something like that?

sswilson

Staff member
I wonder if there is any extra cash to be had troubleshooting and fixing computers for people? Just as a method to get a few extra bucks. Take the rigs home and work on them there.

The problem with doing PC repair out of your basement is that the folks who tend to break / infect their systems also tend to be the ones who think that a single repair bill entitles them to unlimitted free tweaks / repairs in perpetuity. (Kinda like the folks who keep a McD's cup in their car for free fill-ups.... ;) ).

Or they're the ones who buy a PC from you that you clearly sold as being an internet browser (hence the low price) and then complain that they can't play BF3 on it.

IMO, the only money in PC repair is if you get some form of site contract for business (unless of course you're a big-box store who can charge $50 / hour and pay your employees $12).

enaberif

Working from home with a family is a VERY bad idea. It will cause a lot of tension and stress not needed as you will be around too much and its the you being away that keeps the balance in the family.

Latest posts