What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Anyone else excited for RX 5950XT?

Babrbarossa

Am I naive for being excited about AMD making a go for high end graphics again? I am still rocking an old r295x2 that I bought for $500 back in 2014 and have been waiting for a good excuse to upgrade for years - amazing that it's taken so long - so long, in fact that I probably need a whole system upgrade at this point as I am still on LGA 1150 (devils canyon cpu) which is a little daunting.

The article seems a little overly optimistic but either way looks like we may not be waiting too much longer. Wondering how bottle-necked it would be if I just plugged in into my old socket 1150 mobo.

moocow

I'm hesitant to buy brand new GPU since:
  1. They are bloody expensive
  2. The mid-range doesn't really have a lot of improvement over the last generation in 1080p poor man gaming
  3. Fuzzy nature of ray tracing standard, I know they are all working on it so hard to tell if near release will be broken in a year because of standards

lowfat

Staff member
I'm interested. But the whole driver debacle of the last couple months have had me a little weary. Unless they fix the 5700 tissues, it will be a pass for me.

LegendMask

I'm interested. But the whole driver debacle of the last couple months have had me a little weary. Unless they fix the 5700 tissues, it will be a pass for me.
The driver issues are real but not as bad as sometimes the community makes it... never the less AMD needs to get their act together on those drivers and they should make it their priority if they wanna keep up

JD

Staff member
What are the "recent" driver issues? I don't think I've heard anyone say AMD drivers were "good" in quite a few years though.

moocow

From what I been watching on Hardware Unbox, it seems like some people are suffering from black screen and lock ups with the newer crop of cards and drivers. Broken Silicon had a short video on how to address it, ie reset your OC.

gingerbee

from what I have heard there quite a few problems with cards, not turbo up properly but the biggest I have seen was BSOD in games but I also think it maybe not as bad as people think ( you know when things work no ones say sh1t when they don't people freak out )

But I am super happy if this happens It might help push the cost down just maybe

Lysrin

AMD has always been bad with drivers...well, not so much AMD as this goes back to when they were ATi. :p
I was just going to post that same comment :) One of the original things that pushed me off of ATI cards way back. Then I stayed with NVIDIA for performance since then. But bad drivers are a real killer. I've been annoyed at NVIDIA too by times but normally I can install, if finishes, it works, on I go. I want to use my computer for things. Not faff around with drivers when all I want to do is play a game!