What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Anyone else sick of alien games?

vinister

Why are so many games all about aliens? It seems we have a huge concentration of games focused on zapping aliens with lazers and the like. Most of these games are wicked up until the alien part, then it just gets lame.

Whats the point of focusing on ultra-realism for graphics when the storyline is about an alien invasion? Hasn't this game been done a million times now?

Like take crysis, for example. I can think of a hundred cooler things that could have been discovered instead of a stupid alien colony.

I think the gaming industry is forgetting that gamers are getting older, and its time to cut back on the kids stuff. What do you guys think?

tzetsin

lol they'll get it eventually, just think!! i havnt had to save a princess in years...

sswilson

Staff member
Some would argue that they'd wish game developers would focus on something other than combat missions in "insert war location here"

Babrbarossa

Yeah, good point- but like wilson said- there's only so many different things you can shoot at in an FPS- I don't think cats or gerbils present much of a threat.

However, it would be nice if developers thought outsuide the box more. I realize that really unique games like spore have lack a universal appeal, and don't satisfy the people looking for action.

Personally I think company of heroes was somewhat revolutionary though- so much strategy and tactics. Maybe they could go midieval with this game someday ;-)

I think there should be better super-hero games- they're always sort of crappy and rushed out following a movie, and while I'm not a big fan of super heroes per se, they do offer some interesting prospects for unique gameplay since they all have unique powers. A good fantastic four game might be interesting

Last edited:

Mr. Cipher

What would you rather have them shoot at? It's either humans, aliens or the random fauna running around the environment, as I see it...sad but true.

Or mutants and children, in the case of fallout.

Thund3rball

As above... it's much easier to get everyone on board and not flog the hell out of a shooter when it is about shooting aliens, robots, mutants or clones as opposed to people. If you are shooting at people then it is usually a "freedom" themed war game saving the good red blooded Americans from evil oppressors of another nation. Otherwise you end up with Vice City, Bully, Manhunt etc... and you know the story about those. Not to mention I find those games kind of boring.

I think there are some spookier FPS games coming out this year with zombies, ghouls and of course mutants. So it is going to be a welcomed departure from aliens for you I'm sure.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
This is why I stick to strategy games. I am sick and tired of the same thing over and over again in FPS.

Personally, I REALLY enjoyed Bioshock due to the fact that it was SO different atmosphere-wise than anything else on the market at the time. But you really have to look at what these game development studios have to deal with: these are the days when political correctness has gone too far and games have to walk a very thin line between excitement and the same old "trusted" formula (re: aliens, Nazis, Soviets, chickens, terrorists, etc.). Hence, why I have been largely ignoring FPS games in my semi-regular game playing and waiting for the next Homeworld game to be released.

cmac79

yea a good zombie game would be nice to see in a fps. left 4 dead thats commin out seems like it could be a lil bit fun for a cpl hrs lol. fiddlers green was just terrible. i remember playin a fps zombie game a cpl yrs ago that wasn't half bad but i forget the name i been tryin to find it for a while, all i can remeber was it started with an H lol

tzetsin

i've been playing resident evil the umbrella chronicals on my Wii lately, its not a typical resident evil though, its like the old arcade games with the guns, the screen moves on its own and all you have to do is shoot. Its alot of fun because you can put your wimote into one of those aftermarket "guns". I've got two pistol types and my wife and i have a blast, or you can use dual pistolas yourself if you want... doing it yourself makes it a bit harder to pick up ammo and other items though since you have to press the "A" button while aming at it... not so easy when you have the extra weight of the other gun in your hand and the items fly by quickly and you cant go back. Super fun that wii is...

NuxTux

Lol

Zombies made me think of the monster mash...

"I was working in the lab late one night
When my eyes beheld an eerie sight
For my monster from his slab began to rise
And suddenly to my surprise

He did the mash
He did the monster mash
The monster mash
It was a graveyard smash
He did the mash
It caught on in a flash
He did the mash
He did the monster mash" :punk::clap: