What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Anyone have experience with black mold?

Mr. Friendly

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 21, 2007
Messages
6,802
Location
British Columbia
there is a company you can hire that comes in with and cleans staci with peroxide. my son in law's landlord had to do that with their place, it was everywhere...so bad they company had to do two rounds to get it all in the end.

if it's not a severe infestation though, good cleaner and scrub away. the stuff is a plague here in Prince Rupert due to the rain and high humidity, so it's a fact of life. when we moved into the rental we're in now, the windows were black with the stuff. good cleaner and heavy scrubber and it was taken care of.
 

LionRed

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 2, 2007
Messages
494
Location
Dargaville, New Zealand
Sunlight is suppose to kill black mold. Computer desk bits---- Perhaps put out in the sun on a good day or more. Maybe consider sanding the desk parts..outside well ventilated.

If I was using that desk again---i'd probably get it so it is raised up a little... to allow some airflow under/around the problem areas (so it is less likely to happen again).

Might want to consider running a dehumidifier in the room. I wouldn't panic about having run the vacuum cleaner over it.
 

KaptCrunch

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 23, 2008
Messages
4,399
Location
Ontario
If smell is still in basement you can rent a Ozone generator and large fans to circulate air and extract out a window after Ozone generator is off

NOTE: no person or pet shall be in the house while operating Ozone machine and only come back in (wear a particulate mask with charcoal filters) after extract ozone stale air ,reason furnace will allow ozone to travel rest of home. If can isolate basement by 6mil plastic and frog tape and seal all air vents of heating system

Took me two runs of ozone for 3 hours, after over cooked a roast in oven left a hell of stench throughout home that didn’t go away.

Hope this helps also kills bacteria
 
Last edited:

Caldezar

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 21, 2008
Messages
2,287
Location
Edmonton Area
I'm a little late to the party on this, but my in-laws own a carpet cleaning and mold remediation company. I'll touch base with them and get back to you if you're still needing answers. They'll be able to give you the straight goods on whether there's anything you can do yourself. Although I suspect that replacing the carpets is the correct answer.
 

chrisk

Folding Captain
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
7,647
Location
GTA, Ontario
Thanks everyone. I have tossed out the bottom 3/4 of the desk, and just kept the top (and I have placed the top on a metal desk I got for cheap on Kijiji). I'll glue it on as I loved the layout on the top.

The new desk also has skinny legs (metal) at teh bottom so that air can go through the area better.

I also tossed the subwoofer that was next to the desk...found mold on the bottom of the sub.

I treated and soaked the area with mold killer and dried it out for about a week. Nothing has come back so far. I also have a hepa air filter in the area.

Looks good so far, no smell and my mold allergy is not getting triggered in the area yet. I may end up replacing the carpet if I have to as it was my fault that it happened, but right now there is no mold I can see and no evidence there ever was.
 

clshades

Well-known member
Joined
May 18, 2011
Messages
4,281
Location
Big White Ski Resort
If the mold is in the walls it needs to be dealt with. As a plumber when I see black mold my work stops and someone with the skills and know-how deals with it prior to me continuing work. Killz sprayed or painted on studs will seal and kill mold too. I'm assuming the baseboards are moldy too. Desk is toast sadly.

How did the water get there? Was it a leaking pipe or drainage?
 

chrisk

Folding Captain
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
7,647
Location
GTA, Ontario
No mold in the baseboards and walls. Our cat used the bathroom under the desk and I sprayed a lot of cleaner around there and didn't air it out either. This happened a few times over a few years. Dry now and will remain dry. No mold has come back there yet.
 
Top