What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Anyone have experience with Intel server boards?

Jack Rabbit

I am looking at buying an "Intel Entry Server Board S3000AHV" and would appreciate any comments people have based on thier experience with Intel boards. I am looking at jaming 8G of RAM on the thing, loading 2k3 Server, and running a few VMs on it.

Thanks in advance.

Cptn Vortex

I've built a few systems based on that board. You can't use standard 32bit PCI cards in it though. Other that that, it has been a great board, with full server 03 support, which was what I used these systems for. Stuck 8GB RAM and a quadcore X3210 xeon in them.

Jack Rabbit

Thanks for the reply!

Why can't you use standard 32bit PCI cards? Does it only take 3.3V cards or something?

Cptn Vortex

yah, I think so. Their PCI slots are a little messed. Look at the placemet of the notch in the PCI slots. It interferes with regular PCI cards.

Attachments

Jack Rabbit

Ok. Yeah, that is the voltage notch:

5V: notch away from the backplate
3.3V: notch near backplate
Universal PCI: both

It is pretty standard for servers to only accept 3.3V cards but I do not know why. Good to know that. I will have to check the NICs I wnt to put in there and see if they will fit.

Jack Rabbit

I will probably use the on board NICs. This is a fun/test/try/break/fix/play kind of system so I expect to cram a bunch of different gear in there as things go along.

Cptn Vortex

You won't be dissapointed. Intel server grade boards are very well built. Sometimes, they choose the most akward placement of COM headers though, on more than one board I have worked with, it was above the RAM slots. Even the longest of long COM adapters I had wouldn't make it close to the header. What a pain!

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Twitter