What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

anyone here frequently using Thunderbolt 3 / 4?

moocow

I'm using a Dell TB16 dock for my work laptop. Saved on all the wires everywhere plus I can plug into physical network instead of wifi. Before I replaced my 3x 24inch with a single 34inch, I use the dock to add multiple display to the work laptop so I can be more "productive".

Lysrin

I'm using it for external boot hard drive on work laptop. Laptop has no internal drives at all so the high speed for an NVMe external works great and the performance at least feels subjectively the same as having an internal NVMe.

Lysrin

@moocow @Bond007 @Lysrin just making sure nobody is confusing USB-C and the common DP alt function the port comes with just because TB3 also uses the USB-C connector as its interface standard? USB-C is what has the DP alt and charging features, not Thunderbolt.
Nope, mine is thunderbolt for sure. It was a requirement when we specced the laptops.

It is confusing though I will admit that!

moocow

Nope. TB16 is a TB3 dock, got it hooked up to a Lenovo Thinkbook wtih an actual TB sign. I really hate the fact that TB and USB-C are the same socket because my old Lenovo is USB-C with a separate power plug and my new Lenovo table is USB-C 2.0 and not USB-C 3.0.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I was lucky to find a TB3 full 40gbps enclosure, which houses a 1Tb NVMe drive. It holds games that I play on both my main system and my laptop (both have native TB3). This way the games only need to be updated once and run more than fast enough to be nearly indistinguishable from a regular NVME drive.

Cant wait for USB4/TB4 to be become the new universal all-in-one.

djbrad

We use TB3 a lot at the job, as we have a ton of Thinkpads with their docking.

Works well most of the time, but we had our share of bad drivers and needed firmware updates.

The Thinkpad carbon series was a nightmare, and had trouble running 3 monitors, including a 4k 60hz tv.

USB4/TB4 for the win!