What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

anyone here going to try Google Stadia?

Soultribunal

Staff member
Even though I have good internet where I live, there is no way I am dedicating that much Bandwidth per month when I don't have to for gaming.

-ST

Mr. Friendly

consider the target...those that can't afford to buy $2000 gaming systems. spending $130 (US) for the controller and Chromecast dongle and then only a few bucks a month will be worth it, especially being the equipment will constantly scale as needed on Google's end while the monthly fee remains static.

there's the added bonus that I could continue to buy my Tiny form factor PC's...limited space and then not have to worry about eGPU boxes or anything else. the only issue I have is whether a keyboard/mouse will come available to use. I have zero interest in using a controller for PC gaming. :blarg:

enaberif

consider the target...those that can't afford to buy $2000 gaming systems. spending $130 (US) for the controller and Chromecast dongle and then only a few bucks a month will be worth it, especially being the equipment will constantly scale as needed on Google's end while the monthly fee remains static.

there's the added bonus that I could continue to buy my Tiny form factor PC's...limited space and then not have to worry about eGPU boxes or anything else. the only issue I have is whether a keyboard/mouse will come available to use. I have zero interest in using a controller for PC gaming. :blarg:
Your failing to take into consideration the costs of upgrading your internet if you need to
These are American prices for the hardware.. which is $400
A $10/month charge

When you start adding this all up you can buy a pretty decent machine to play games on and still be far ahead.

This is just a gimmick by Google to attempt to try this market out.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Perhaps the way I look at it when I see the 4K requirements (and thus the bandwidth required to use) is that this is targeted at the affluent people whom live in areas where High Speed infrastructure is reliable / Fast / with tons of bandwidth to sustain the resolutions.

I.e. where I live and around where the houses like to start from the 'low 1millions' lol.

-ST

Entz

If they can come up with a "Netflix" style model maybe ... but paying them monthly, then paying a publisher likely the full 80$, never reduced, price to "rent" a new game is a no go for me. If it tied into steam or something maybe ...

A real console isn't that much more, especially after say 12 months (169+144=Xbox one s) and especially true if your internet kinda sucks..

Sagath

Staff member
The shield has been doing this since '15.

Based on the shields user base for their streaming service I dont see the market being that big...yet.

Lysrin

From article: "streaming in 4K resolution with 60 FPS and HDR is promised, if your own Internet line is fast enough. Google recommends between 30 and 35 Mbps for this quality level."

I already have a Chromecast Ultra, but no 4K TV yet. But for people with a 4K TV, that is a pretty big promise from Google for some nice gaming visuals. I am one of those people with very fast Internet with no caps, so the 30-35 Mbps for 4K doesn't scare me. Actually I would have thought it would have to be more than that. Being able to buy the game and play it on Stadia without a subscription is a nice option, but already owning the game and having to pay again to play it on Stadia... not so much.

Was it stated anywhere that you had to use their controller or would existing wireless controllers work?

I have a lot invested in my PC setup, so this isn't something I am looking for. But I'll keep my eye on how it goes just the same. If they ever allow you to port over currently owned games that might tempt me for couch gaming... but I don't do that already with Steam, so maybe it wouldn't. Apparently I'm fickle lol

Mr. Friendly

ah...so key misunderstanding. I didn't know you had to buy the games still...I thought that was included in your subscription. if it's not, then bollocks!

the Shield has been doing this for a while, but wasn't it only for Android games? can't compare desktop games to mobile games in any way. LoL!

Latest posts

Twitter