What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

anyone here have entry level DAS experience?

Entz

Cold: Unplugged, offline, "Cold to the touch". It is only every plugged in when you update it. i.e. The one you would keep in your safe at home or on a shelf anyways. Could be weekly or monthly type of backup, full size, most likely prepped ahead of time. i.e. The last full backup taken of your machine(s).

The idea is that even with offsite **** can happen if things are not setup right. A dumb offsite sync and your folder gets deleted (or encrypted) your cloud copies are gone too. Though most have snapshots/rules.

Murphys law says AWS will cancel your account the day your house burns down.

A lot of people combine Cold with Offsite if your not using a cloud provider. i.e. An encrypted USB drive (or two) stored at your friends/parents/in your truck/office whatever. Swap them around from time to time.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
what's the definition of a cold backup? I'm guessing hot means live / current / daily and offsite is self explanatory.
Hot spare is in the raid array and automagically rebuilds on failure. Cold is as Entz said, in my case its a USB 3.5" that I run once a month-ish, and store at work.

Eventually I'm going to set up a second NAS at work I can remote in to and do my offsite there...one of these days...

Mr. Friendly

hot spare is only parity...double parity (RAID 6) is smart and what most of my clients deploy now...though some do RAID 5 in mirror as if a drive goes down, it messes with the surveillance recording while the array rebuilds.

zoob

It's a port of Synology's Disk Station Manager.
+1 for Xpenology. Set one up at my parents house for laptop snapshots and also to record two IP cameras.

Selecting the appropriate version of the boot loader is probably the most difficult part.