What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

anyone here into microscopy?

Mr. Friendly

if I can sell some of my stuff (telescopes), I hope to buy both a biological trinocular and stereo trinocular microscope. these have two eyepieces for you to look through, as well as third optical path for a camera.

I've got a lead on an American Optical Series 10 for a dime...but still working on what I'd want for the stereo.

when I worked at Vancouver Telescope, I got my hands on a massive Zeiss research mic, but my situation changed and I was never able to actually bring it home. buuut, before I bought it, I played with it a lot at the store between helping customers and saw things that blew my mind and I want to peer deeper into this kind of stuff now.

we just moved into the basement at my step-daughters place and they home school their kids, so I really want to have something to show them the world of the micro and I want to try my hand at some interesting photography. I'm not sure what the proper term is, being the mic's I will get are going to be trinocular...but I want to take sterographic images. essentially take three images of the exact same thing, one from each optical path (left, right and trinocular) and stack them.

I also what to play with phase contrast / diffuse interference contrast (once you go DIC, you can't go back!) as well as bright and dark field...and maybe flourescence, but I don't recall if I ever did any of that at VanTel.

biological mics are for slides and biological specimens.

stereo mics are low power (45x is the usual max, but you can get one's that go up to 90x) systems for 3D specimens, which can be whatever you want them to be. the neat things about these are that each eyepiece is it's own optical path, the light doesn't go through a prism to split it between the two eyepieces on a binocular . this is why they are low power, as higher magnification would require colimation so they both have the same point of view, which is extremely difficult, hence expensive to provide.

anyhow...any of you use a microscope for fun or work?

Izerous

Folding Team
There was a cheap microscope that got some attention on a few shows from china that is availiable on Aliexpress now.

I have been tempted a couple times, there are circuit repairs and other things that this would have been useful. But it is very much in the want category not need. I have 2 trucks in the garage, well one won't even fit right now but at least it starts now that need some attention so I can have a "toy" on 4 wheels.

Mr. Friendly

There was a cheap microscope that got some attention on a few shows from china that is availiable on Aliexpress now.
there actually are mic's that have a focus for use with circuit boards. and I'd only buy of Ali if they have a good return policy...

Celestron has some options you can buy in Canada through their telescope partners...or Amazon.

Latest posts

Twitter