What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

anyone here know anything about sit-stand desks?

Mr. Friendly

the one's that go on top of an existing desk and are strong enough to handle 50 or 60lbs of monitor weight (including the monitor arm)? I'm beginning to get bad cramping in my back and sides around my waist from all the sitting I do, so realize I should probably mix it up now. but I have 2x Dell U3415w's...so it needs to be strong.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
We're looking for them to install into the new office and we're avoiding UpDesk like the plague. Right now price / performance seems to be leaning towards Autonomous. However, there's also a great company based out of Montreal (Canadian built, sourced & warehoused) called Ergonofis: https://ergonofis.com/. More expensive but still, you pay for local.

Vittra

Those aren't worth getting. They limit mouse space and lead to bad arm/hand posture. Replace the entire desk or don't bother pursuing this.

Good overall article:

Based on a cursory glance of the ergonofis site that looks like a great option for something within Canada., and I like the option of just getting the frame and picking up your own top.

FreeKnight

the one's that go on top of an existing desk and are strong enough to handle 50 or 60lbs of monitor weight (including the monitor arm)? I'm beginning to get bad cramping in my back and sides around my waist from all the sitting I do, so realize I should probably mix it up now. but I have 2x Dell U3415w's...so it needs to be strong.
My brother uses one at his office and he's happy enough with it. If the weight of the monitors is a bit much, you might be able to tighten the mounts or springs depending on the unit.

I agree with vittra that you're better off replacing with a true sit/stand desk. Ikea has affordable options now, or you could just order legs from upliftdesk / human solution and put you're own top on it (once again, you can just buy a top from Ikea)

Izerous

Folding Team
The few people in the office that we have had use Yoga balls, sit/stand options etc pretty much use one of the other almost full time and never really rotated in and out. So the super fast eletric risers while cool maybe not worth the cost to play with. Ikea does have a manual crank frame instead of electric.

Also kinda in the camp of go al the way or don't bother due to surface area etc unless your a proficient trackball user.

Edit: Side note turns out IKEA is closed for shopping but still doing delivery and click and collect, not surprised but surprised.

nToxik

I've been purchasing these for some of my employees at work. I purchase the 48" ones because it comforably has room for the user to have paper pad/notebook next to their keyboard to write stuff in the stand position. I also like these because if the employee needs to move to a different location or if I need ship it to another Canadian city, I can. The company is now called Vari.com, used to be called Varidesk.com

I also see these on Amazon but I haven't tried them yet. A lot cheaper than the one above.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
My co-worker is using one of these or something similar with dual 27" monitors on it. It took the place of the risers she used to have under her monitors to bring them to eye level while sitting. The guy who bought her monitors was too cheap to buy height adjustable ones :ROFLMAO: But seriously, she splits about half her time sitting and standing.

moocow

Latest posts

Twitter