What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

anyone here know anything about sit-stand desks?

Mr. Friendly

Not sure what brand is used in my office but look similar to Monoprice frame (I guess all of them looks the same). You can slap your own desktop on it.

reason my preference is for an add on is because I need a big desk...it's about 6ft wide. not sure I could put a 6ft desktop on one of the frames.

moocow

The specs say it can handle up to 87 inches, that's about 7.25 ft. But a desk add on instead of a full moving desk does give you a bit more flexibility. It just looks like it takes up a lot of desktop real estate when in the lowered mode.

This is what I have; maybe this will give you an idea (I can't post links yet since I'm new):

Look up dual-motor sit stand frame at primecables - they have it in black/white (you want the dual motor for extra weight capacity). I got mine on sale for $320 after tax with shipping around xmas 2 years ago; it's been running strong.
For the desk surface; I got an Ikea gerton (sanded it down and finished with Danish Oil) - whole process took an week in the garage. But you don't have to finish the surface... you can just plop the surface on the frame...

Protip: Assemble the frame; put it upside down on your desk surface (on the floor) to alsign and mark where you want to drill pilot holes for the frame screws. You can also zip tie / velcro an power bar/surge protector onto the frame beam for easier cable management.

TLDR:
Dual motor sit/stand frame weight capacity: 100kg/220lbs
Ikea Gerton desk top (60LB)
You have over an 100LBs left of capacity...

Ikea Gerton Dimensions:
Width: 30 ¼ " (77 cm)
Height: 1 ½ " (4 cm)
Length: 65 ¼ " (166 cm)
Weight: 58 lb 15 oz (26.74 kg)

Cost:
Primecable Dual Motor Sit/Stand Desk Frame: $360+Tax
Ikea Gerton (solid wood top): $139+Tax
Danish Oil: $15

Mr. Friendly

thanks PP, but when I find a solution, I want it to be a converter, not a full on desk that goes up and down. the cable management for that would be a nightmare!

kevbar

I've been purchasing these for some of my employees at work. I purchase the 48" ones because it comforably has room for the user to have paper pad/notebook next to their keyboard to write stuff in the stand position. I also like these because if the employee needs to move to a different location or if I need ship it to another Canadian city, I can. The company is now called Vari.com, used to be called Varidesk.com

https://www.vari.com/ca/en/sit-stand converter-varidesk-pro-plus-48/DC-PP48.html

I also see these on Amazon but I haven't tried them yet. A lot cheaper than the one above.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07613BR1D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Did your employees stay satisfied? I'm sure Vari standing desks are good, but the price is pretty high. I'm thinking about some cheaper alternatives.

MsMinker

I use the riser below for laptop without a mouse and have another one for a large monitor and really like it. It's strong for a heavy monitor. Pretty simple & inexpensive. www.brixtonbanks.com