What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Anyone here using a Slingbox?

lsquare

I've been thinking about getting a Slingbox for a while now since I travel a lot. Just this past spring and summer when I was in the United Kingdom, I was TV starved and had to rely on internet streams to catch up on some of my favourite TV shows. The saddest part during my time in the United Kingdom was that I was unable to stream the Stanley Cup Finals from the CBC website.

I've read quite a few reviews on the unit, but they're all in the context of a US setup. Does the Slingbox operate with full functionality with a Canadian STB from either Shaw or Telus?

My current internet connection with Telus is more than fast enough to support even the Slingbox Pro-HD, but I'm not sure if that is an overkill or not. When I finally move into my new house at the end of December (massive construction delay), I'll be on Shaw's new 100Mbit/sec downstream and 5Mbit/sec upstream connection. I wouldn't mind paying more for the Pro-HD if it's worth it.

Comments?

YukonTrooper

I have a Slingbox (non-HD). The device works great and it is very handy if you travel a lot. I purchased it for watching the Stanley Cup Finals and Christmas time holiday hockey for when I'm down in Jamaica. You can view all the programming that you're subscribed to at home. The Slingbox routes the video and audio feed from the STB and then uplinks the feed. To control the STB from your computer while your away, IR emitters that come with the device are positioned on your STB to emit signals that you control from your computer. Pretty neat.

As far as HD programming goes, that's going to depend on the connection you're working with while away from home. However, going with the Pro-HD doesn't preclude you from watching SD content, so you're not losing out, besides the extra money spent. Then again, watching HD on a laptop is nothing special, unless you have a full HD laptop, or you have access to an HDTV to link the computer to.

Does Slingbox have a forum? Head over there to see what people are saying about the Pro-HD feed quality.

FlyingFish

I don't travel as much as I used to so I don't use mine anymore. I had the non-HD one that I got 5 years ago. Works great. I was in Croatia and was watching Canadian TV. Sadly due to timezones, it was mostly late night crap. I also got it to work on my old HP iPaq so I was able to watch stuff pretty much anywhere. It's a pretty cool piece of hardware.

When my parents finally get around to kicking me out of the house I'll use it to get cable :p

Latest posts