What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

anyone here with a home made rack chassis?

Mr. Friendly

beginning to think perhaps I should a make a small 5U rack for my stuff...PC (Lenovo Tiny), network hw (modem, router, switch) and UPS' (2x CP1500PFCLCD).

seems all the wall mountable 4U racks don't allow for shelves, only rails.

hmmm...6U racks look better suited, but then they get bloody expensive. <_<

Entz

You can get rackable "shelves" but they are not cheap. What I use for things like an ObiHai , injectors, Nas units etc. If you have the means you could make a Ikea lack rack and build shelves and a bottom onto it (or get 2 and chop the legs).

8020 would work as well that stuff can do just about anything lol.

Mr. Friendly

Mr. Friendly

You can get rackable "shelves" but they are not cheap. What I use for things like an ObiHai , injectors, Nas units etc. If you have the means you could make a Ikea lack rack and build shelves and a bottom onto it (or get 2 and chop the legs).

8020 would work as well that stuff can do just about anything lol.
SiL does woodwork for fun / relaxation (recall my desk?) and has access to a lot of hardwood scraps n stuff. so it would be easy to build off of 2x2.

on the flip side, I've also thought of a 2 post rack...small, takes up little space.

that 15U is good for up to 198lbs, which is good, as my UPS' alone weigh 50lbs together (25lb each). and it will fit perfectly beside the window...I've got like 22" of distance, so center it and there's space to route cables down the corner, to the floor and along the molding to the gear on my desk.

Entz

15U is a nice IMO. I have a Startech 25U 4 post rack-myself (4POSTRACK25 ) and its overkill :ROFLMAO: but it was cheap back in the NCIX PP days.

I am not a fan of 2 post racks as heaver stuff tends to sag in the back. I know its not fatal just not a fan.

There are compact 4 post/closed 15" if you going that route like the RK1520WALHM technically designed to wall mount but you can leave it on the floor.

The biggest issue with a real rack is you will need shelves (ala CABSHELF116 ) or at least someone to make them for you so you can attach them to where the cage nuts would go. Since you have someone who likes to do woodworking it would be quick and painless to get them done. You could have them use drawer sliders though which makes life a lot easier (basically a DIY UNISLDSHF19 ).

Last edited:

Mr. Friendly

yeh...don't really want to give the floor space for a 4 post rack...so wall mounting is preferred and that 15U adjustable is perfect. just need to figure out the shelf thing.

Soultribunal

Staff member
This is what I use currently. I have 2 Vented Shelves and a 120V Fan kit at the top. Works perfectly.
My gear is safe and cool and the cabinet is up off the floor and enclosed to keep everyone but me out of it.

-ST

Soultribunal

Staff member
They don't sell retail, at least I don't think.
I deal with a few companies that distribute Hammond. If you really want one or a quote I can help with that.

-ST

Latest posts

Twitter