What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

anyone here with a home made rack chassis?

KaptCrunch

A trip to scrap yard I'd found server 24x36x60 stainless steel glass door, non mark casters on bottom with APC 2000 mounted outside of case.
Can try IT recycler near you

Last edited:

Mr. Friendly

Prince Rupert by chance? I've never met anyone that used to live there that liked it.
actually, I love it here! there are other places I would prefer for a rural community, but this is where the wife is from, where her parents are and they need our help in their senior years, so here we are.

not everyone can say they have deer and eagles in their back yard. not to mention there are more ravens here than crows, and they sound WAAAY cooler than crows. :D

Entz

Deer are fun to have in your backyard till they start eating your garden/flowers :rolleyes:

Beats raccoons though.I would rather run into a bear :p

Mr. Friendly

there are very few gardens in Rupert due to the lack of sun and always raining. they do exist....my MiL tells stories of deer walking up their front stairs to eat the flowers in the landings planter box. she told me once she has to climb over a herd of about 20 deer sleeping in her back yard to get to the compost bin. they just looked up at her and went back to sleep. LoL!

raccoons are definitely a thing in Vancouver though. we had raccoon wars at the apartment we were in on West 8th off Burrard. those were most interesting. fortunately we were already awake, but I bet it was quite the annoyance for others, LoL!

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
Hmm, I was just looking at my tangle of wires yesterday thinking I should re-organize and rackmount all these devices I have too...

I was thinking of something like:

I have roughly 30 cables, some of them being fiber/DAC, but I figure a 32 port patch panel leaves a bit of extra room. I'd use a mix of just passthru keystones and actual punchdown ones so I don't have to cut the ends of all my cables.

I think 6U would be enough for what I have and anything future. My ES-16-XG and ES-24-Lite being the easily mountable ones, my US8-150W and ER-4 not so much. My current plan is to get a UDM-Pro once it's out to replace the ER-4 anyhow. Wasn't sure if it's worthwhile to buy a PDU as well or not, otherwise I think I'd just use an extension cord over to where the UPS and "server" is.

But if there's a cheaper way to mount this stuff to the wall, I'm all ears (or eyes) :) My Amazon cart (bunch of 1ft cables and keystones), is almost $200.

KaptCrunch

JD Canadian tire #061-6199-6 drilled angle (4 pcs), some plywood for sides, shelves and a back board that will mount wall to make your 19" rack width and hit 16" studs and height of your equipment with more for expansion an air ventilation

Latest posts

Twitter