What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

anyone here with a home made rack chassis?

Shadowmeph

actually, I love it here! there are other places I would prefer for a rural community, but this is where the wife is from, where her parents are and they need our help in their senior years, so here we are.

not everyone can say they have deer and eagles in their back yard. not to mention there are more ravens here than crows, and they sound WAAAY cooler than crows. :D
I Wished I lived up that way I have been searching for security work up that way but the pay is crap

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
not sure who you were looking at as an employer...but you'd want to look at the port authority. or perhaps the two new propane facilities. in any case, lost of industry hiring.

or you can look at Kitimat with their natural gas facility coming in. $75 Billion facility I think it is...

Black_Ice-Dragon

Have you looked into a Lack Rack? Its something ive come across on reddit in the homelab sub and uses cheap stuff from Ikea to make a makeshift rack. Not sure if you need just a way to mount ears or if you need posts, but it may work as an option.

Marzipan

issue for me is how I'm in the middle of nowhere. shipping from Ikea has always been higher than average...it's way worse for my postal code. :p

but I've got to say, that's damned ingenious!

jIlMZ6e.jpg

Entz

Thats the lack rack I was talking about at the start :p

Have you tried it today? Not sure if there is a promo on right now but we have the same problem here (despite being a major center) with like > 60$ charge for 99$ worth of stuff but shipping is cheap right now for some reason. 3 Lacks estimated out at 15$ shipping which is par for Canada.

Edit: Nope just some stuff lol.
This 99$ cabinet https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/brimnes-cabinet-with-doors-black-80300660/ costs 169$ to ship ... WTF.
1574443469003.png

Last edited:

Marzipan

it's 72lbs...so over the 70lb courier limit and when that happens, freight skyrockets.

I was pleasantly surprised that to ship 3 Lack tables is only $25...but that's literally almost as much as the $36 they'd cost me (on sale for $11.99 at the moment).

I remember looking at how much it would cost to ship a table to me from the Richmond store to my Vancouver address. freight was more than the product.

Entz

it's 72lbs...so over the 70lb courier limit and when that happens, freight skyrockets.
Ahh. That would explain it.

Funny thing is we have a depot which is supposed to cap at $79 but it doesn't. You can get a whole kitchen set for $79 but a cabinet nope :p

The Great Gazoo

I bought 34" rails from Amazon and made a rack with some scrap plywood and 3/4" MDF. It was super easy to make. You could get the local lumberyard to cut the panels if you need.

I'm remaking it next year in walnut as I am building all new office furniture for my mancave. All my furniture is mismatched and it's driving my OCD crazy. Now that I am a more confident woodworker, I can make some great stuff.

Attachments

• 4BEF977B-3726-4369-8740-3C5B1568E7FD.JPG
    4BEF977B-3726-4369-8740-3C5B1568E7FD.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1378.JPG
    IMG_1378.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts