What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Anyone hitting refresh to buy new Ryzen today? 3600 3600X 3700X 3800X 3900X?

Bond007

I'm pretty set on a 3600. I wanted a 3700X initially but after seeing reviews and benchmarks the 3600 will more than take care of my audio processing and light gaming needs.
However I'm really put off by the current crop of X570 motherboards. The huge chipset power draw, along with those ridiculous fans, have halted my entire purchase. I'm considering a X470 mobo although I hate buying older tech. Maybe I'll find a used one for cheap and see what happens with X570 in the future.

IMO the 3600 pairs better with lower cost boards...and given the B550 (or whatever they are going to call them) hasn't been released, I would personally pair it with a B450, UNLESS you need anything additional provided by higher end chipsets.

deathsupport

IMO the 3600 pairs better with lower cost boards...and given the B550 (or whatever they are going to call them) hasn't been released, I would personally pair it with a B450, UNLESS you need anything additional provided by higher end chipsets.

Good to know, that'll help me save a bit of money considering I was unable to find any used X470 mobos on Kijiji/CL. I'll be fine with slightly lower PCIe speeds, not doing anything too taxing with my system anyways.
Just have to make sure I buy something that's ready for Ryzen 3000 since I have no 2000-series CPU to use in case it needs a BIOS update.

justmehereajax

If I am getting the new 3000 series I will opt for the 500 series mobo just because of PCIe4 so I can get better IO from ssds.
I want to see how fast it feels lol.

Bond007

Good to know, that'll help me save a bit of money considering I was unable to find any used X470 mobos on Kijiji/CL. I'll be fine with slightly lower PCIe speeds, not doing anything too taxing with my system anyways.
Just have to make sure I buy something that's ready for Ryzen 3000 since I have no 2000-series CPU to use in case it needs a BIOS update.

None of the boards currently on shelves will likely have ready for Ryzen 3000 bios, however, some motherboards allow bios update without a CPU...check out the boards you are considering.

Izerous

Folding Team
None of the boards currently on shelves will likely have ready for Ryzen 3000 bios, however, some motherboards allow bios update without a CPU...check out the boards you are considering.

This is a really good point because i have been bitten by this in the past. Had to find an older CPU to update a BIOS to run a newer CPU.

deathsupport

Not sure about that, there's this article on Tom's that says MSI will ship modified B450 boards called "MAX" that will be 3000-series ready.
Otherwise... there's really no upgrade path unless I can find someone locally willing to help. That's a major setback.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-amd-400-motherboards-ryzen-3000,39836.html

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Not sure about that, there's this article on Tom's that says MSI will ship modified B450 boards called "MAX" that will be 3000-series ready.
Otherwise... there's really no upgrade path unless I can find someone locally willing to help. That's a major setback.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-amd-400-motherboards-ryzen-3000,39836.html

He mentions 'on the shelf', as in today. Moving forward you can expect NEW stock to have updated BIOS's that will support Zen 2.

That being said, wasnt there a program around that mad itpossible to get AMD to ship an old chip series (Athalon?) that fits the socket to update?

Edit: Yeppp. https://www.pcworld.com/article/325...-with-motherboard-updates-for-ryzen-apus.html
and
https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-will-le...r-to-update-your-bios-to-support-a-ryzen-apu/
both talk about how to initiate the 'warranty claim' to get a dual core to update.

deathsupport

He mentions 'on the shelf', as in today. Moving forward you can expect NEW stock to have updated BIOS's that will support Zen 2.

That being said, wasnt there a program around that mad itpossible to get AMD to ship an old chip series (Athalon?) that fits the socket to update?

Edit: Yeppp. https://www.pcworld.com/article/325...-with-motherboard-updates-for-ryzen-apus.html
and
https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-will-le...r-to-update-your-bios-to-support-a-ryzen-apu/
both talk about how to initiate the 'warranty claim' to get a dual core to update.

That's awesome! Thanks for the link. Now I can get a cheap-o B450 from CC... there's a few on sale and with rebates.

JD

Staff member
There's quite a few B450 boards that support USB flashback too, that's what most people were picking up prior to the launch since they were all on sale. Seems they've returned to normal pricing now though.

SGardiner

There's quite a few B450 boards that support USB flashback too, that's what most people were picking up prior to the launch since they were all on sale. Seems they've returned to normal pricing now though.

I ordered a msi b450 tomahawk for this very reason. Parts are en route, but not likely to arrive for the weekend :sad:.

Latest posts