What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

anyone know much about the new Barrow block / pump / mini-res combo unit?

Lysrin

If your running a fixed RPM why not use the speed dial to set it to that speed and not use your motherboard (other than for speed monitoring). Perhaps there is a ramp or something on the PWM side and the pump cant start.

Just to confirm you are still powering it with molex right? There are not designed to pull power from the motherboard.
I just noticed your signature @Entz indicating your membership in the ZESS. That's funny :)

f13dfx

Yes Entz, you are right. The pump came with a breakout that had a Molex connection (for Voltage & Speed Control) as well as a 2-wire fan header plug (for Sense & PWM Speed Control). I was thinking about the PWM ramp when this issue arose. Thanks for your explanation!

Izerous

Folding Team
There are a few PWM headers that can supply the power needed to power a pump properly but often there is only 1 specific one and on higher tier of boards (Asus ROG would, others ASUS boards might not for example). So not using the molex break out if your not already could be the issue.

With the increasing popularity of AIOs they are becoming more popular on the motherboards than they used to be..

f13dfx

There are a few PWM headers that can supply the power needed to power a pump properly but often there is only 1 specific one and on higher tier of boards (Asus ROG would, others ASUS boards might not for example). So not using the molex break out if your not already could be the issue.

With the increasing popularity of AIOs they are becoming more popular on the motherboards than they used to be..
Well, I created a cable that integrated the Molex & PWM connections from the pump into a 4-pin fan header connector so I could plug it directly into one of the fan headers on my Gigabyte Aorus X570 I Pro Wifi (version 1.0) motherboard. Maybe that was my mistake.

Entz

Well, I created a cable that integrated the Molex & PWM connections from the pump into a 4-pin fan header connector so I could plug it directly into one of the fan headers on my Gigabyte Aorus X570 I Pro Wifi (version 1.0) motherboard.
That is actually a really neat idea. I was dreading having to run a molex for just the pump in a small enclosure. Assuming my B550I board can handle it (pump is 17W IIRC) as mentioned above I may steal that idea :D

f13dfx

That is actually a really neat idea. I was dreading having to run a molex for just the pump in a small enclosure. Assuming my B550I board can handle it (pump is 17W IIRC) as mentioned above I may steal that idea :D
No worries! Worth the try. Unfortunately, my ITX motherboard only has 2 PWM fan headers 😂

f13dfx

Okay, just resoldered the Molex connection with Black Ground & Yellow 12v lead coming from my Enhance ENP-7660b 600W Flex ATX PSU to solely power my Barrow DDC Pump and it is now starting up properly from a cold boot. The PWM connector still works if you want to a PWM fan header to monitor your pump's rpm. I have chosen to leave it disconnected as I only have 2 fan headers and plan to set the pump @ 1800rpm using the pump's manual speed control.

One last question, because of the layout of my loop, would it be advisable to fill it to the brim? My pump is quiet at it's rpm setting, but I've never built a loop this tight, so asking advice from the experts as to what fill rate I should be at. Thanks in advance!

rqrPi8a.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter