What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Horizon: Zero Dawn & Forbidden West

Groove

Looks like a great game, sad that it's a PS4 exclusive though. Kinda same deal with Nauthy Dog and their Uncharted/The Last of Us games.

LaughingCrow

Yes, started a 3rd play through (now on hold because of time). I played a lot of Guerrilla Games Killzone 1 and 2, so this was a total surprise to see how well they shifted to an RPG genre. And from the DLC, I'm guessing they could draw this out into 2 or more sequels.

FreeKnight

I played it and enjoyed it. I don't think it's quite the masterpiece that some other do, but it's a solid game with a neat spin on 'humans after the apocalypse'.

Tried to go back for the DLC, but it's really not doing it for me as much the second time around. I do hope it's a start to Guerilla games putting out higher end games. I'm not 100% sure I'd want a Horizon sequel, but would like them to try something new.

lowfat

Staff member
Bought on the recent Steam sale for I think $20ish. 3080 + 5800X3D keeping it mostly ultra settings @ 4K @ 120FPS.

Gameplay is fantastic. Playing w/ mouse + keyboard and it works great. But you can sorta tell it was originally for console as you barely use the keyboard except for like 8 keys.

HDR on the OLED is fantastic. Probably the best use I've seen in a game. Even just stuff like computer screens in the games just pops.

Only complaint I have is voice acting. Some of it is really weak. Just tonally flat. Including the main character. In this day in age I expect a hell of a lot better. Like IMO The Witcher 1 from 15 years ago had better voice acting.

GeezerGamer

Bought on the recent Steam sale for I think $20ish. 3080 + 5800X3D keeping it mostly ultra settings @ 4K @ 120FPS.

Gameplay is fantastic. Playing w/ mouse + keyboard and it works great. But you can sorta tell it was originally for console as you barely use the keyboard except for like 8 keys.

HDR on the OLED is fantastic. Probably the best use I've seen in a game. Even just stuff like computer screens in the games just pops.

Only complaint I have is voice acting. Some of it is really weak. Just tonally flat. Including the main character. In this day in age I expect a hell of a lot better. Like IMO The Witcher 1 from 15 years ago had better voice acting.
Agreed. Played it way back on PS4 then again on PC. PC is way better I think in all departments including keyboard mouse. Good to hear you liked it!

Lysrin

I'm still playing through it, and enjoying it. I jump around between way too many games lol

I wonder about the voice acting. I agree it is a bit flat even though I think this story itself is decent. I wonder if it is a victim of conversations being recorded in small pieces rather than a complete dialog? That can sometimes make things feel flat or disjointed unless the actors are very good at getting into character.

LaughingCrow

HZD was on sale with GOG a while ago, so I got it to see how much difference between the PC & PS4 now that I have a better monitor/GPU. It does look a lot better. I'm alternating HZD with Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition working my way up to BG 2 to be ready for BG3 once the final comes out this year.

Lysrin

Finished main game + DLC today. Give it a 9.5/10. Voice acting does improve substantially. Only a couple of the characters from early in the game really suffered. One of the better scifi stories in any media I've come across IMO. Gameplay 10/10.
I haven't finished yet but my only real complaint about the gameplay is that you can only hide or stealth in that one specific vegetation type. That's a bit goofy, but once you accept that it's good. It am certainly intrigued by the story as it unfolds.

Latest posts