What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Anyone recommend a good soundcard?

I just bought a creative soundblaster fatality recon3d and what a pos that was ! The sound was distorted and the levels kept dropping as i played with the equalizer just horrible card imo. So the main reason i was in the market for a soundcard was because the voice/microphone input on my motherboard sounded bad, alot of background noise and just overall poor. However the music playback from the board is great its just the microphone like when i use ventrilo all my pals are saying sounds like theeres a tornado in my room. so just wondering what sound card or other solution would give me good clarity on the microphone. would a usb headset be better or is it just gonna have the same sound filtration the motherboards going to give ?

bignick277

I'm quite partial to the Asus Xonar cards. Really good clean sound and reliable. And unlike the creative cards (at least in my experience) they actually work. They are little expensive, but reasonable. Their drivers leave much to be desired, but they're no where near as bad as creatives pitiful excuse for drivers.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
That budget should get you the best card in the market. What speakers/headphones are you using?

Look at the Xonar Essence STX and the Auzentech X-Fi Hometheater. I've heard good things about both, available in the $200 range.

BootlegUsher

I like my Auzen Home theatre HD, I doubt I will need a new soundcard in a very long time.

Dragonstongue

Titanium HD, Auzentech home theater, X-fi Forte,HT Omega Claro II(uses same processor as Essence STX), Claro Halo XT, Claro +, Xonar Essence STX, Xonar D2X or the one I am using, and love, Xonar DX.

Generally speaking ASUS Xonar Cards are the most well rounded, they tend to be the best overall for music/movies gaming, Creative is gaming//movies/music, Auzentech gaming/music-movies, HT omega are near parity to ASUS but are a touch better for gaming side(in regards to thump and such)

I like the Xonar cards, as if you are using Windows 7 or vista, Creative type cards only have so much extra features they can do without using odd workarounds, from a pure spec wise, example SNR, the ASUS cards tend to one-up thier competition, Thier drivers are not the greatest, this is true, however, I have had the DX now for well over a year and still works awesome, as good as I want it to, the drivers work well(now) and from my understanding, the Xonar D2X or Essence ST/STX would blow this little card out of the water.(but I didn`t have a few $100 to spend on a card or I would have went with the STX)

Just one quick example, SNR, I believe SNR for most "decent sound cards" are 109-114 db SNR, most of the Xonar line do around 114, the higher end ASUS cards can do up to 124 so they do tend to have more ooomph, but are pricier, though they do tend to have some of, if not the best circuitry and such.

I do not know youre needs as far as Dolby, encoded and all that fancy stuff, I would take a look at Xonar offerings or HT Omegas and see what best fits with your direct needs, I am sure, one of the Xonars will be what you are looking for, btw the Xense is not worth it from what I have seen the STX most certainly would be the better choice, however, the Xense with the optional(and $) headset is apprently pretty damn nice for music/movies.

Latest posts