What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

anyone tried a cricket flour based product yet?

Mr. Friendly

sswilson commented on 'crickets' in a networking post he started and it made me wonder if anyone here has been brave enough to try any goods with cricket flour.

I haven't, but am more than happy to try since I've had chocolate covered grasshoppers and ants when I was a teen.

Izerous

Folding Team
I haven't, but am more than happy to try since I've had chocolate covered grasshoppers and ants when I was a teen.

I was around 10 we had relocated to Thailand for a couple years for my dad's work. One of his co-workers were passing home made ones around, I think I related them to a chocolate covered peanut.

My wife on the other had HATES grasshoppers and even mentioning the idea of bringing flour made of grasshopper to her and I'd be sleeping in the garage. It isn't heated yet so I'd rather not have to do that with the nights getting colder now.

FreeKnight

Can't help but think they should call this cricket 'meal' not flour. It doesn't behave like flour, it's not nutritionally like flour and anything that looks like a baked good is usually just flour that has a percentage of cricket 'flour' cut in. Not to mention it's not going to serve as much of a flour substitute when it's about 100x the price of flour at the moment
(/end foodie rant)

If it adds to a dish, I'll give it a try, but I'm not going to actively look for it just for novelty's sake, there's cheaper and easier ways to get added protein at the moment.

Mr. Friendly

Can't help but think they should call this cricket 'meal' not flour. It doesn't behave like flour, it's not nutritionally like flour and anything that looks like a baked good is usually just flour that has a percentage of cricket 'flour' cut in. Not to mention it's not going to serve as much of a flour substitute when it's about 100x the price of flour at the moment
(/end foodie rant)

If it adds to a dish, I'll give it a try, but I'm not going to actively look for it just for novelty's sake, there's cheaper and easier ways to get added protein at the moment.
agreed, but most people haven't the foggiest what 'meal' is...not really a word used much anymore. flour is recognixzed as a milled powder of something and it seems we've seen the evolution of the word to include products beyond just grains.

Izerous

Folding Team
Actually just looked at her and said
"Hey honey what about cricket flour"
"No"
"I could make..."
"NO"
"but"
"No if you ever bring that into this house..."