What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Anyone use an 'ecobee' thermostat?

On2wheels

I've had one for at least a year now, it seemed great at the start, i could check my house temperature from anywhere and control it if i wanted to. The past month or so I'm almost certain the trigger points in the software have changed so it doesn't turn on as soon nor does it stay running as long. I know I didn't change anything, and from checking it over again I dont think there is anything I could change to make it run like this. So now I regret ever having it connected to wifi.
Of course I asked them about firmware updates being pushed out which they deny.

Depends on how you got your ecobee. There was a eco program from green-friendly government, where they gave it for free but they reserved the right to manage it "under certain circumstances/peak load". I purchased mine and I have no problems, except for sensor connections are keep dropping.

JD

Staff member
You should see an "eco+" setting/menu now, make sure it's set to minimum and that everything is off other than the smart home/away.

It was a somewhat recent update, but if you opted into eco+ (not that they gave any choice really), it enabled all these "automatic" controls.

I had noticed it in the summer, my AC was cycling on and off like every 5 minutes and I didn't want to burn out the compressor. Plus it would set my temperature to like 28C during the "peak" hours in the summer too, absolutely uncomfortable.

On2wheels

I looked everywhere a few times and didnt see this eco+ setting, perhaps my model is too basic for it? It was from the free GreenOn program years ago, but when it's not connected to my wifi it still works fine. They had me reconnect it when I submitted a support ticket about this new behavior so they could monitor it.
In fact here's some of the data:
Details of Inquiry:

I have checked your reports and it seems like the heating is efficient by kicking in 0.5C below the heating setpoint. Your equipment is able to increase your temperature quickly enough so the thermostat knew when to stop calling for heating in order to achieve your desired setpoint.
1571771053729.png
I think I'm going to disconnect it from wifi tonight.

JD

Staff member
Are you using the app on your phone, or just the thermostat itself?

JD

Staff member
You should see it in the app with all the settings. On the thermostat itself (I have an ecobee 3), the eco+ menu option only has the equivalent to the slider in the app.

I guess it depends what you're wanting it to actually do. In the advanced installer options you can set how long each cycle runs or how big of a temperature difference you want before it turns on. You keep your home pretty cold though which may be part of it too. With Ontario weather of late, I wouldn't expect it to run that much to maintain 17C (+/- 0.5C).

On2wheels

I"ll have to update the app and check it again, it's been months.
On a whim I replied to my support ticket yesterday asking if they updated the thermostat software in the past 6 months, they replied back and said they have an update ready to push out right now, and asked if I wanted it forced on mine.

nToxik

I've had the Ecobee3 for probably 4-5+ years now and I don't have any of the these problems. It is has been great. One of the reasons I bought it is because my current wiring only had the 4 wires (maybe it is 3 wires?) and new electronic thermostats require an extra wire. Ecobee3 came with the harness that fakes the extra wire. Nest didn't have this option.

Latest posts

Twitter