What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Anyone with a GTX 1000 series card going to upgrade to the RTX 3000 series?

Izerous

Folding Team
Did I miss it or did GN have DLSS on/off when comparing to 1000/2000 series. I noted they did some quick DLSS on/off tests specifically 2000 vs 3000 but did they specify for the rest fo the tests. At 4K DLSS on is going to make a large difference.

I also just did some tests and it is faster than my 1080ti SLI setup even in titles that do a really good job. For example in Shadow of the Tomb Raider I get 80fps @3440x1440 and they get about 85-90fps.

How does you CPU compare to their test bench too though that does have an effect.

Izerous

Folding Team
I will say this the kijiji listings for used 1080tis at $500+ seem ridiculous now.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I will say this the kijiji listings for used 1080tis at $500+ seem ridiculous now.
Well, maybe, maybe not. We dont know what the comparable new card is going to be priced at. Judging from 3080 benchmarks, and pulling data from the 2070 vs 2060 (~10%), and 2080 vs 2070 (~15%) improvements, it looks like it may align with the performance of a 3060, perhaps even a 3050.

If the 3060 is comparable, and retailing new for (?), then the 1080ti should sell used for less.

JD

Staff member
While in German, there's some power comparisons here: https://www.computerbase.de/2020-09...ramm-performancerating-fps-effizienzvergleich. Sounds like they knocked the power limit down to 83% to approximate 270W for the 3080 to match up with the 2080 Ti, and looks to be about a 25% performance gain per watt.

So I guess there's an option this time of "undervolting" the 3080 and still have faster performance at the same wattage.

FreeKnight

Price listings are always ridiculous at the new launch phase. It's people trying to mostly ditch their cards onto the naive or unsuspecting. We've had a few members over the years even here that will list stuff for insane used prices. The upside is that it usually doesn't sell.

GPUs also seem to carry a slightly higher used premium than other parts. I don't imagine you'll see really great deals on 1000 and 2000 gpus for another 3-4+ weeks until people start getting the new cards in hand and then feel like they have to unload their older gpus

Dwayne

This comparison between and AMD system and two Intel systems is really interesting, and well done. You can see in the conclusion that these folks know their stuff, and tweaked the AMD system. What I found most interesting was the game to game results at 1080p. It really shows you that you have to be careful comparing reviews on the net, as some games performance really tanked at 1080p on the AMD systems.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Did I miss it or did GN have DLSS on/off when comparing to 1000/2000 series. I noted they did some quick DLSS on/off tests specifically 2000 vs 3000 but did they specify for the rest fo the tests. At 4K DLSS on is going to make a large difference.

Testing is always done consistently, DLSS was only used with RTX enabled games to show RTX uplift, and also shown without DLSS as a straight RTX 'struggle'.

This comparison between and AMD system and two Intel systems is really interesting, and well done. You can see in the conclusion that these folks know their stuff, and tweaked the AMD system. What I found most interesting was the game to game results at 1080p. It really shows you that you have to be careful comparing reviews on the net, as some games performance really tanked at 1080p on the AMD systems.

This makes total sense, and Gamers Nexus mentions it as well; Lower resolutions are almost always CPU bound, not GPU bound. You always see CPU use drop away at higher and higher resolutions as work is pushed to the GPU instead.

Since AMD's chips are (still) worse for IPC, being throttled by the CPU would cause worse performance when comparing apples to apples.

belgolas

After reading/watching several reviews I am pretty excited. Some games I might only get 50% faster performance but most games at least 70% and sometimes more than double FPS increase. I think it is more important to look at the low FPS numbers than just average and the 3080 is a pretty huge performance increase over the 1080 ti.

Canada Computers has so leaked prices though I don't know if they are official but it looks like the 3080 will be priced $950-$1100 depending on the card. Seems stupid that some manufacturers want to charge $150 more than others. With exchange rate of the founders card we should be looking at around $950 with import fee. Just going by the exchange rate the FE 3080 is $920.658 CAD. The FE card probably has the best cooler anyway except for maybe the 3 slot cards or water cooled ones. Will probably just pick one up off of Nvidia if other companies want to charge a premium for ugly coolers.

Mr. Friendly

While in German, there's some power comparisons here: https://www.computerbase.de/2020-09...ramm-performancerating-fps-effizienzvergleich. Sounds like they knocked the power limit down to 83% to approximate 270W for the 3080 to match up with the 2080 Ti, and looks to be about a 25% performance gain per watt.

So I guess there's an option this time of "undervolting" the 3080 and still have faster performance at the same wattage.
let's hope the 3060 comes in at a really good price compared to the 2060, like the rest of Ampere has. and let's hope the 3060 actually has enough muscle to use ray tracing, unlike the 2060...cause it does, it will really devalue everything before it and be good for those that rely on the used market for upgrades, LoL!

Latest posts

Twitter