What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Anyone with a GTX 1000 series card going to upgrade to the RTX 3000 series?

Skippman

Everyone seems to be comparing the RTX 3080 to the RTX 2080ti. From a financial aspect I suppose that makes sense as it's more powerful at nearly half the original MSRP. But I feel those tests are misleading and based on a FOMO factor by those who own 2080's. Those who own a 2080ti already own a top tier GPU. The real story is how the 3080 compares to the 1080/1080ti for those who have been holding off on upgrading.

I know Hardware Canucks review got shots fired at it earlier but I appreciate that they actually benched it against the 1080.

I'm currently running an eVGA 1080 FTW on a Ryzen 7 3800X with an Acer Predator 1440P 144hz panel. For someone like me this upgrade is a no-brainer. Games like Doom Eternal look to have a 250% FPS improvement over an OC'd 1080. That's huge. In nearly every benchmark they ran against a 1080, admittedly on a last gen proc, the results were double the frame rates or better.

I honestly think that if you have a 2080ti, there's not a lot of reason to upgrade right now unless you have cash to burn. I think it's a case of cost sink falicy as Jayz pointed out. Your 2080ti isn't suddenly worthless, it's still a top tier card. But at this point there is absolutely zero reason for a 10 series card owner to not upgrade to either this or the 3070.

Dwayne

Everyone seems to be comparing the RTX 3080 to the RTX 2080ti. From a financial aspect I suppose that makes sense as it's more powerful at nearly half the original MSRP. But I feel those tests are misleading and based on a FOMO factor by those who own 2080's. Those who own a 2080ti already own a top tier GPU. The real story is how the 3080 compares to the 1080/1080ti for those who have been holding off on upgrading.

I know Hardware Canucks review got shots fired at it earlier but I appreciate that they actually benched it against the 1080.

I'm currently running an eVGA 1080 FTW on a Ryzen 7 3800X with an Acer Predator 1440P 144hz panel. For someone like me this upgrade is a no-brainer. Games like Doom Eternal look to have a 250% FPS improvement over an OC'd 1080. That's huge. In nearly every benchmark they ran against a 1080, admittedly on a last gen proc, the results were double the frame rates or better.

I honestly think that if you have a 2080ti, there's not a lot of reason to upgrade right now unless you have cash to burn. I think it's a case of cost sink falicy as Jayz pointed out. Your 2080ti isn't suddenly worthless, it's still a top tier card. But at this point there is absolutely zero reason for a 10 series card owner to not upgrade to either this or the 3070.
Check out Digital Foundry's review. They specifically do 1080 comparisons. I have always found their reviews to be well done.

rjbarker

But at this point there is absolutely zero reason for a 10 series card owner to not upgrade to either this or the 3070.
I have 2 reasons right now to hold back, 1080Ti Sli (strictly for SLi supported games) is still killer (and all titles "not SLi compatible" and still fine on 3440*1440p res , BUT the big reason, still no FC EK Water blocks available for Evga Cards ;) I'll wait, once I see EK Blocks available will consider purchasing a 3080.....then again may continue to wait for 3080Ti.
I do agree though, some pretty serious gains upgrading from 1080Ti !!!

ipaine

Man, I just wish that 3090 would be a little bit less. I mean it will be at least $2k here and something like the FTW3 card would be I'm guessing at least $2200 after tax. My gpu fund and what I hope to get from selling a 1080ti would only really cover the first half of that.

And while I want one as soon as I can, my main thing is making sure I have a 3080 in hand before Cyberpunk hits in Nov. Hell I also kind of want to wait for the hybrid card, I love the fact that I can have my 1080ti's completely silent and a little warm or topping out at about 40-45c and still barely hear the fans. Or be just a little loud and crank them up to try to push some OC's. Just going to assume the Hybrids will be about $1300 cdn though.

Lysrin

Checked the FE dimensions and at 11.2" or 285mm 3080 would just perhaps fit in my current set up. It be very tight again.

However with the short FE PCB, if I put a GPU block on, it may be really short, depending on what the block makers come up with. That seems likely doesn't it, that an FE under water would be a lot shorter? That would actually make my small build more roomy.

Update: EKWB has some of their blocks up, such as Strix and this one: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-vector-rtx-3080-3090-copper-acetal

Linked one is shorter, 220mm, but it says it is for reference but NOT FE. Strix ones are longer, over 290mm. They don't list a block for FE yet, but the Configurator on the EK site lists a block for the FE as "coming soon". So I think you guys mentioned this earlier, but FE is not reference...

How would you figure out if a third party card is reference for that shorter block? Just keep checking the Configurator I suppose.

Last edited:

ipaine

Well anyone that wanted one might have some troubles. Only one still showing as in stock at the egg, ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3080.

Only two different Gigabyte cards have any stock showing at MemEx, but there is a MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC that says preorder but still only in store.

And evga direct, well they down completely last time I checked a minute ago.

Best Buy has none available except a Asus Tuf one as backorder.

Canada Computers site also not loading.

And nothing on Amazon.ca

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
However with the short FE PCB, if I put a GPU block on, it may be really short
There's some pictures here: https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-ampere-rtx-3090-rtx-3080-water-block/ of Corsair's block and a sneak peek at EK's I guess since it's kinda blacked out.

Seems like there would be no issues fitting a 3080 FE watercooled card in even the smallest ITX case. I'm tempted to do an ITX build in something like that CM NR200P case with a 3080 and Ryzen 4000/5000 and finally retire my (huge) Cosmos 2.

Lysrin

There's some pictures here: https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-ampere-rtx-3090-rtx-3080-water-block/ of Corsair's block and a sneak peek at EK's I guess since it's kinda blacked out.

Seems like there would be no issues fitting a 3080 FE watercooled card in even the smallest ITX case. I'm tempted to do an ITX build in something like that CM NR200P case with a 3080 and Ryzen 4000/5000 and finally retire my (huge) Cosmos 2.
Thanks for that @JD ! Yeah that EK block looks good. It might be very tempting for me in a few months time to go 3080 FE with a block, especially given the info in the HWC review video that indicates I'd see some great gains over my 1080 Ti while sticking with my 8700K. It'll be tempting and would look smashing in my current build I think :D

In the long run is there likely to be FE cards available? Or does NVIDIA only do so many and then they are gone? I feel like that happened with a previous gen but I think the 2000 series ones were around for a while.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team

oh man, NR200P liquid cooled with a Ryzen 4000 & 3080? So much power in such a small footprint. Drool

Latest posts

Twitter