What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Anyone with a GTX 1000 series card going to upgrade to the RTX 3000 series?

belgolas

Did anybody's review/commentary specifically address the reasons behind the 2 day delay?
From what I heard is that not all reviewers got the cards in time so they delayed it. They blame COVID but I don't think that is a great excuse as shipping times don't seem to be any longer right now.

JD

Staff member
In the long run is there likely to be FE cards available? Or does NVIDIA only do so many and then they are gone? I feel like that happened with a previous gen but I think the 2000 series ones were around for a while.
This time is different though, I would consider NVIDIA's card more to be like an AIB like the STRIX or FTW3. It's not the strict reference design like FE used to mean. I would think they'll continue to make it and stock it for a while longer, but it's anyone's guess at this point.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
From what I heard is that not all reviewers got the cards in time so they delayed it. They blame COVID but I don't think that is a great excuse as shipping times don't seem to be any longer right now.

This is not my experience personally, or professionally (work), right now. Anything shipped nationally I'm seeing delays of 1-5 days depending on length of travel across the country, and what port it comes in from.

Entz

Edit: NM wrong link

Did we want a in stock watch type of thread or leave that to reddit?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Edit: NM wrong link

Did we want a in stock watch type of thread or leave that to reddit?

Id expect by the time any one posts it, it'll be gone anyways. I'm never watching threads (or reddit) enough to actually catch shit, and I would expect those that are, are doing it on Reddit anyways. But nothing stopping you from creating it! ;)

Lysrin

To help clarify my earlier confusion between FE and what is a reference 3080/90 card, this EKWB release lists the cards compatible with their reference GPU block:

rjbarker

^^^^ You'll just have to go back n check EK periodically, eventually they will have several more Blocks available, in particular a few of the most popular Evga variants.....
....or just purchase a Card to match available blocks......or just purchase a 3090 as it is listed as compatible w present EK Blocks :) ......but there is no justificaton imo to purchase a 3090 with only a 1440p monitor....at what $2.2K perhaps, only a few more CUDA cores and 24G VRAM, not justified really.
There has been a Zotac Card available for order (but not in stock) though (not sure if it still is) and it is compatible w available EK Blocks listed.

belgolas

^^^^ You'll just have to go back n check EK periodically, eventually they will have several more Blocks available, in particular a few of the most popular Evga variants.....
....or just purchase a Card to match available blocks......or just purchase a 3090 as it is listed as compatible w present EK Blocks :) ......but there is no justificaton imo to purchase a 3090 with only a 1440p monitor....at what $2.2K perhaps, only a few more CUDA cores and 24G VRAM, not justified really.
There has been a Zotac Card available for order (but not in stock) though (not sure if it still is) and it is compatible w available EK Blocks listed.
I can't seem to convince my friend to not buy the 3090. He has the same monitor I have the AW3420DW a 3440x1440 monitor. He wants it because it is going to be the best and he thinks it will future proof him more and will be the last graphics card he needs to buy for several years. While we don't know the performance numbers but I am guessing a 20% performance increase over the 3080. So 20% more performance for double the price. He is currently is playing MSFS so he thinks the 3080 doesn't have enough ram but the 3080 performs better than cards with more ram...

Oh well his money. I would rather buy the 3080 for half the price. Sell my 3080 in 2 years and get a 4080 or 5080 and cost a lot less money but get more performance in the long run. If the 3090 had half the ram at 12GB and was only $300 CAD more then I would go for it no question.