What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Anything like Crucial's Exclusive Data Defense that you can get to 'protect' data on SSD?

Mac29

Crucial's MX500 series SSDs offer Exclusive Data Defense, which I think works with the writes, ensuring or increasing the probability of non corruption. I might go for a BX series since speeds shouldn't effect me much. Don't game collaboratively and nothing too intense like moving large files.

Is there any software I could find that would be similar and proven to be good? I wouldn't even try something unless people swear by it, it's been around for years.

Thanks,

Mac

JD

Staff member
I don't think so, that's all hardware based I believe.

You could disable write caching within Windows (or whatever OS you run) so that it writes to "disk" immediately rather than letting it (potentially) sit in RAM.

The other aspect would be to run your PC on a UPS as well so if the power ever did go out, you'd still be able to shutdown cleanly and thus commit those pending writes.

The BX series isn't even considerably cheaper than the MX series though? You're saving $5-10?

Entz

That tech is nothing more than read ECC on the hardware side, its extremely common place on most SSDs and is a feature of the controller. It does nothing for writes.

There is nothing like that on Windows. ZFS and other similar file systems can do it on linux though. Raid controllers can do it if there is a parity system in place as well.

If your worried about writes you will need to protect the entire chain. i.e. A UPS, sync writes (i.e. disable write cache), a journaling/CoW file system (i.e. not windows) and an enterprise grade SSD that incorporates capacitors to ensure all in flight and cached writes actually get saved. The later is required for sync writes to be disabled in most systems anyways as consumer drives take massive hits during sync writes.

This still doesn't guarantee 100% perfection but it will get you close. For example your system may reset at the microsecond before the meta-data is updated and there is little that the system can do in that case. NVRam maybe...

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it.

Entz

I am willing to bet the same thing as Data defense is on every SSD sold today.

Mac29

I thought I just read a $20 diff today, might have mixed up capacities. Well I always use a UPS. Just learning about SSDs & features. Figured it was another bells & whistles.

Don't want to cut too close to the bone. But looking at Crucial scores, Intel 545s, etc. think I'll go with Crucial MX500.

Thanks.

Twitter