What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Anything to justify the high price of some cases?

bliz

Thanks guys,so if i get it,it's overpriced but quite a lot of money would go into the bent metal+brushed aluminium finish :D (which will leave fingerprints anyway :bleh:)

sswilson

Staff member
Thanks guys,so if i get it,it's overpriced but quite a lot of money would go into the bent metal+brushed aluminium finish :D (which will leave fingerprints anyway :bleh:)

You misunderstand what I mean by fit/finish. The finish part is not what the surface is like, it's putting the finishing touches on something rather than just shipping it straight from the line warts and all.

A quality case is typically much more solid than a standard one and includes much higher quality materials.

Aluminum is a perfect example... you can make a $50 aluminum case out of recycled pop cans and call it all aluminum, or you can use aircraft grade aluminum like my original 60 series Lian Li had. There's just no comparing the two.

Weight is another huge factor... my cosmos S was built solidly out of an aluminum frame and my whole WC build came it at 50lbs. Building the same case out of steel without sacrificing structural integrity would probably have added another 10lbs if not more.

Generic User #2

another thing to consider: a case is effectively 'immortal'

the functionality of a given processor DEGRADES over time relative to new software. at some point, you MUST upgrade your processors or you MUST stop upgrading your software. not including the 'MUST HAZ MOAR UPGRADES' part of being an enthusiast.

the functionality of a case doesn't change over time until the ATX form factor gets replaced (not sure how likely this is...).

also, why wouldn't you spend money on your case if everything else is already maxed out?

ZZLEE

If you don't mind dust a peace of cardboard works well.
Cases are about your personal aesthetic.

bliz

Yeah but why would you need aircraft aluminium if pop cans look the same and are not going to break anyways? xD

nah i get it,it's like pure iron ores into the case so you have the best quality...That is kind of logical but maybe not that useful.Still a tin box...depends if you gonna keep your case for 2 or 10 years i guess...

Kerry D

Why would you spend time sleeving if you're just going to change out parts within a year or two? I just don't get it, seems like a waste of time and money to me.

I don't feel this way at all, but as someone who likes the fit and finish of high end cases, to hear you say on the one hand that you're an enthusiast who put time and money into sleeving cables but then look upon the choice of a fellow enthusiast to get a higher grade of product that they'll enjoy seems a bit silly.

bliz

Bah,it's all about the look,you have a black steel case,you want a black and white theme ,just to make it look nice,i mean as long as things look nice and work it's ok for me...

Not gonna spend 400$ into an open case made of steel tubes and a glass panel though^^that's silly.
At a certain point it's not worth it,but it's just my opinion.
And sleeving cables is cheap,as long as you know some tips...

hero1

Can you give me a useful or at least intelligent answer? i'm not ranting but trying to understand why manufacturing costs would be that higher.It's rarely fully handmade after all.

And i am an enthusiast,i spent 5 hours with cable management and sleeving :blarg: Just that i don't know the advantages of spending a lot of money in something that has the same features that a less expensive product has :biggrin:

I think it depends on material used and overall build quality. Look at Lian Li cases, they are known for their quality build, awesome looks and easy of use. However, with that said, I don't think they are worth a $300 price.

Desiato

One of the few practical benefits is that larger cases are easier to work in. That's why I prefer them. If you're not water cooling, many large cases are actually at a thermal disadvantage.

Back in my day, aesthetics were completely secondary. PC enthusiasm was more about practical results. These days, I think most cases look really tacky. My HAF-X looks like it was designed by Hasbro, which I dislike, but I love the wheels and how easy it is to work inside.

Latest posts