What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Apparently we been over buying wattage

Izerous

Folding Team
Not sure what ATX12VO has to to with that. Hardware still requires 5v and in some cases 3.3v. All that conversion is still going to happen it is now just taking up space on the motherboard reducing room for other features.

The screaming benefit is that ATX12VO is shooting for is super low load efficiency. Anything in the normal range is a wash.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Sure it does. Standardizing power outputs in to one source would eliminate having 'extra GPU' capability with a lack of 'feature x' capability, by allowing all power connectors to be used the same.

gingerbee

remember the good old days when you needed 1000watts for the water cooling and the sli 8800gtx's and loads of fans for your water cooling that still only brought you up too about 500 to 600 watts lol

Ya I buy mostly 550 and go up to 650 for my higher end stuff I mean my 3900x and RTX 2060 did take a whole 250 watts to game with lol gotta love the new stuff

its a very well known issue that loads of us have bought power supplies that were way too big I mean I have a 1000watt PSU in my server right now which is so much overkill but it worked and I had it laying around from when I bought a PSU that I really didn't need

Soultribunal

Staff member
I think the only time I ever 'over' provisioned on a PSU was when I wanted it to run as quiet as possible. I knew I could get away with far less but the advantage of PSU's going passive at lower range makes it tempting at times for silent systems.

Otherwise I aim to get one that keeps my curve in the most efficient point of the supply.

Nowadays, with SLI and Crossfire being....well, not used nearly as much, there really isn't much point.

Bring back the Skulltrail and SLI Days...then maybe.

-ST

rjbarker

Depends what you're building I guess. My last water cooling build had 15 fans etc. I populated most of my power supply trying to wire everything. All that was left was power for more video cards.

Exactly......so you have say a 9900K OC pushing 5.1-5.2 Ghz (all cores n threads)...vcore 1.325v....perhaps 2 GPU 1080Ti's OC as well to as high you can get em.......the power draw alone on CPU and GPU's is ....(cringing)..up there....throw in 16 Fans ...water pump......200W Fan Controller.....
......so maybe $6K build...now with all that running I personally like to be in that 65% load efficiency sweet spot......."Well, I think an 850W - 1kW PSU should be ok"...(really???)......I'm running a Corsair AX 1600i Titanium and I know I'm sitting right in that Efficiency Sweet Spot, not to mention I only paid $480 for it 18 months ago.....and the thing runs dead quiet......I see there now around $700...wow.....so the $480 investment will likely be the only PSU I buy for ....maybe 10 yrs nd I can throw whatever HW I choose at it........going to be awfully naked in my 900D when I swap out 2 Pascals for a single 3080 though ;)

.......anyhow its all about the build obviously and how close to the peak efficiency curve you want to be and how much you're will to risk your HW $$$ :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter