What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Apple A14 & M1 Compared

Mr. Friendly

the thing that caught my attention is the memory systems. the A14 is quad channel while the M1 is octo-channel. none of the systems have enough RAM to properly utilize that and it's not something Apple is boasting about to help with sales. so curious to have such a spec...

moocow

Probably prepping the migration of their entire Pro line to move over. Question is how hard Apple is going to discontinue the X86 software.

moocow

I know Rosetta 2 exist but don't trust it to work well enough. Eventually, the x86_64 is going to die completely on the platform just like how it replaced PowerPC code a few years after.

Mr. Friendly

I know Rosetta 2 exist but don't trust it to work well enough. Eventually, the x86_64 is going to die completely on the platform just like how it replaced PowerPC code a few years after.
well, Apple is known to just abruptly drop support for stuff and say deal with it. so I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happens here. they love forced obsolescence...

Izerous

Folding Team
I already have problems with their 32bit support that was dropped. I have to keep 2 macs handy one with 32 bit support just so I can run some older software. Unity 5 for example is 64 bit but it uses 32 bit utilities under the hood so Unity 5 doesn't work on newer OSX revisions so I don't expect legacy support for anything long term.

moocow

Ah, okay, should be more clear. What's going to happen to Intel Mac when apps are more or less ARM based and lack X86_64 code base or even when they want to use an app that's ARM only? Sounds like we are pretty much screwed.

Mr. Friendly

Ah, okay, should be more clear. What's going to happen to Intel Mac when apps are more or less ARM based and lack X86_64 code base or even when they want to use an app that's ARM only? Sounds like we are pretty much screwed.
ahhh...yes. that is a remain to be seen right now. it will / would take a lot to produce an ARM processor to replace the x86 used in the Mac Pro's, so I suspect x86 is safe for for the near future.

Latest posts

Twitter